Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
OCLP 0.4.3 and Monterey OtA 12.3.1 update ran and rebooted the machine. After that, boot screen shows, progress bar gets to about 50% and stops. Hard powered off. Powered on again, startup chime, but nothing on screen. Hard powered off. Powered on again, progress bar to 50%, let it sit for about an hour. Powered off, removed all drives except PCIe NVMe housing Monterey 12.3.1. What should I do next?

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
D779033F-3812-453E-96D4-48AAE7E6FE6E.jpeg
So it appears to be a “Apple NVMe Assert failed” error upon boot. 12.3 has been working fine on my PCIe NVMe. It has only become an issue as part of the 12.3.1 installation process.

Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SSD.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
View attachment 1987086 So it appears to be a “Apple NVMe Assert failed” error upon boot. 12.3 has been working fine on my PCIe NVMe. It has only become an issue as part of the 12.3.1 installation process.

Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SSD.
Did you tried enabling VMM and experimenting with SetApfsTrimTimeout?

970 EVO should use 4294967295, since is one of the drives that constantly fail to complete the TRIM process before the 10s standard timeout.

Reactions: MacForumsUser

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Did you tried enabling VMM and experimenting with SetApfsTrimTimeout?

970 EVO should use 4294967295, since is one of the drives that constantly fail to complete the TRIM process before the 10s standard timeout.

I did not, but I will. What do I need to do to make this happen? I can’t boot. I have a spinning drive with Mojave in the first slot of my Mac Pro 5,1.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did not, but I will. What do I need to do to make this happen? I can’t boot. I have a spinning drive with Mojave in the first slot of my Mac Pro 5,1.
Boot Mojave and mount your OC ESP (EFI partition where you installed OpenCore/OCLP) and then edit the config.plist temporarily adding VMM spoofing and SetApfsTrimTimeout.

For more info on VMM spoofing, please go the first post of the thread below and read "Spoofing, enabling missing features and fixing power management":

Since your SSD is one of the affected by the failure of TRIM completion before the timeout, you will have to use 4294967295 instead of the recommended 9999999 (=10s) for the SetApfsTrimTimeout.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Boot Mojave and mount your OC ESP (EFI partition where you installed OpenCore/OCLP) and then edit the config.plist temporarily adding VMM spoofing and SetApfsTrimTimeout.

For more info on VMM spoofing, please go the first post of the thread below and read "Spoofing, enabling missing features and fixing power management":

Since your SSD is one of the affected by the failure of TRIM completion before the timeout, you will have to use 4294967295 instead of the recommended 9999999 (=10s) for the SetApfsTrimTimeout.
Thanks! And at this point, how do I boot Mojave? Do I have to reset NVRAM 3x? Because it doesn’t show in the boot picker.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks! And at this point, how do I boot Mojave? Do I have to reset NVRAM 3x? Because it doesn’t show in the boot picker.
Weird that Mojave don't show on the BootPicker. If you remove the usual drive that you boot from your Mac Pro and reset the NVRAM, the Mac Pro firmware will boot any bootable drives that are available, preference is for the SATA drive installed on SATA bay one.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Weird that Mojave don't show on the BootPicker. If you remove the usual drive that you boot from your Mac Pro and reset the NVRAM, the Mac Pro firmware will boot any bootable drives that are available, preference is for the SATA drive installed on SATA bay one.
It shows in the boot picker, but when I select Mojave, I receive the circle with the line through it 🚫

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Also, do I have to reset NVRAM 3x? Or just once?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It shows in the boot picker, but when I select Mojave, I receive the circle with the line through it 🚫
You probably installed the OC ESP to the same drive as Mojave. If you are spoofing MacPro7,1 you can't boot Mojave since MacPro7,1 is only supported AFTER 10.15.1, you need to add -no_compat_check to your NVRAM boot-args.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Deep reset, reset the NVRAM continuously pressing and keep pressing CMD-ALT-P-R with a wired KB until you hear the 5th chime.
Well, I held it, but it only chimed twice, and next thing I knew, I was in Mojave! Keyboard was connected via Bluetooth.

I’ve manually updated the Monterey NVMe’s config.plist with the options suggested. Do I have to do anything else, like bless? Or just replace it in the EFI partition and reboot?

Last edited:

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
So I turned off the VMM flag - kept the TRIM timeout - turned off the machine, removed the Mojave drive, turned on, reset the NVRAM (3 chimes), and the installation finished! I am now running 12.3.1! Thanks again for your amazing help Alex! You’re the man!!

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Not sure if it’s “quick.” I posted 5.5 hours ago, and nobody has responded. They did respond to other support requests though.
Saw you had to bug them to get some help a bit later. So that combined with tsialex you solved it. Maybe you should consider building your own as described here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/ then before updating you read that thread to be warned of new things happening. Also, if you run into problems, you will get help in that thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.