Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonio.vazquez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Hi all
sometime ago, I bought a MP 5.1 really, really cheaper (round 350 euros).

It has the following configuration right now:

- 1 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
- 32GB RAM at 1066MHz (I've deduced that processor is Nehalem Family)
- 1 x 450 GB SSD
- 3 x SATA Drives

Although seems to run correctly, I'm planning to upgrade it and I 've bought the following components:

- Inateck KT4004
- OWC Accelsior 1M2 PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD to PCIe
- WD Blue SN570 1TB - NVMe SSD

With this configuration, it could be able to run High Sierra without any problem, but I want to upgrade at least to Mojave (or if it possible to Big Sur) so my questions are:

- Is it necessary to change the processor? If yes, which should be suitable?
- Could I run Mojave (or Big Sur) with a Nvidia GTX 760 or 770?

I have reviewed several videos and posts and seems to be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Antonio

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Hi all
sometime ago, I bought a MP 5.1 really, really cheaper (round 350 euros).

It has the following configuration right now:

- 1 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
- 32GB RAM at 1066MHz (I've deduced that processor is Nehalem Family)
- 1 x 450 GB SSD
- 3 x SATA Drives

Although seems to run correctly, I'm planning to upgrade it and I 've bought the following components:

- Inateck KT4004
- OWC Accelsior 1M2 PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD to PCIe
- WD Blue SN570 1TB - NVMe SSD

With this configuration, it could be able to run High Sierra without any problem, but I want to upgrade at least to Mojave (or if it possible to Big Sur) so my questions are:

- Is it necessary to change the processor? If yes, which should be suitable?
- Could I run Mojave (or Big Sur) with a Nvidia GTX 760 or 770?

I have reviewed several videos and posts and seems to be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Antonio
Antonia,

Very doable. I would start reading the first post in this thread - MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave . While it can seem a bit daunting read it carefully and you will be prepared to upgrade to Mojave. You will need to have a metal compatible graphics card - I don't recall if the 760 or 770 are metal compatible. I do know the GTX 680 is.

You might try for a GTX 680 flashed for mac so that you can get a boot screen - that is extremely helpful when doing a bootrom update. Take a look at the GPU thread - GPU Compatibility List for cMP for ideas. Many in the thread are going for maximum performance but look through the first post in the thread.

To use an NVMe drive you need to get your bootrom updated to 144.0.0.0 and that first thread i referenced above will tell you how to do it.

Take a look at other posts on the 5,1 - there is a lot of information on how to upgrade them and keep them working even today years after they were last sold.

Regards,
sfalatko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.