Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2021
I reckon MP 6,1 has no dust problem while running due to upflow air from the fan, but should I be concerned while it is in sleep mode? Is it wise to cover it then? Any advice, please?

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I wouldn't cover it. Even though set to not wake up on anything, it could still wake up, keep on running. It could wake and panic or hang in an unworking state but still generatimng heat. And that would not be healthy with a cover on top of it.

If I was away from home like a month, or a year or something, that's different. I would unplug it and put to closet, or cover with a towel etc.

Dust seems to accumulate mostly vertically, on horizontal flat surfaces. The top plate of the 6,1 "core" gets dusty pretty quickly. Still I don't think dust makes it way that much on the sides of cylinder, to the inner computer parts.

I think the dust in there, inside the Mac, is mostly due to ventilation, and it comes in with the incoming, sucked in air from bottom.

edit. maybe I read the question too hastily. Sometimes the fan runs when in sleep, I guess it's doing the background tasks allowed in system prefs or something. Again, one reason more to not cover it.

Reactions: apostolosdt

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I would definitely avoid it. There are circumstances where the Mac produces heat without the fan running and is completely relying on the chimney effect (while in sleep mode).
Two examples are:
- actively performed tasks like Power Nap
- simple power draw by external (USB) devices that put strain on the internal power supply

Reactions: apostolosdt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.