Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacaroniFish

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
Only thing about upgrading is that I'm in the middle of editing and every time I change OS I have to make my setup compatible with everything. When something goes wrong I have to make that compatible and then the next variable. Now I can't seem to enable hardware acceleration with RX580, the card in general seems slow on the DOS Dude Catalina Patcher. Is it possible? Should I just move to open core Catalina for GPU acceleration?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Only thing about upgrading is that I'm in the middle of editing and every time I change OS I have to make my setup compatible with everything. When something goes wrong I have to make that compatible and then the next variable. Now I can't seem to enable hardware acceleration with RX580, the card in general seems slow on the DOS Dude Catalina Patcher. Is it possible? Should I just move to open core Catalina for GPU acceleration?
Depends on what you patched for Catalina ... if you installed any sort of a legacy video / GPU type patch that will break support for metal cards.

MacaroniFish

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
Depends on what you patched for Catalina ... if you installed any sort of a legacy video / GPU type patch that will break support for metal cards.
Thanks, that's good to know. I don't have a legacy patch installed, but I will double check. Currently I am just running the RX580 in my tower. Everything works fine, I just want to have GPU acceleration working. I have been looking into Lilu and Whatevergreen KEXTs to get the GPU acceleration to work. Any ideas? i have stated a new thread here for my issue... https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-mac-pro-3-1-with-catalina-and-rx580.2340977/

Last edited:

khronokernel

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2020
Alberta, Canada
@Syncretic Hey just a heads up, macOS 13.0 Beta 3 (22A5295h) breaks MouSSE's SymbolLookup(). Specifically the __PRELINK_TEXT marker is no longer available, instead you'll need to switch to __TEXT_EXEC.
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 3.16.36 PM.png

A simple bin patch to the current MouSSE is fine enough:
Code:
Find:    5F 5F 50 52 45 4C 49 4E 4B 5F 54 45 58 54
Replace: 5F 5F 54 45 58 54 5F 45 58 45 43 00 00 00

Patch confirmed working on a MacBook7,1 with 13.0 Beta 3.
Should be relatively easy to swap the string in your source and recompile.

PS: Would there be any possibility to release the source code for MouSSE? Would love to see the community help out more, as it feels a bit off-putting having to reverse and bin patch a community kext. I wouldn't mind putting some elbow grease in and helping out more if it breaks again in the future.

timmykm721

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
Hi, so without AVX, will those supported GPUs still work in macOS Ventura if these patches are applied?

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Implement SSE4.2 as microcode update?

The ultimate way to add SS4.2 support to Penryn processors would be via a microcode update. Currently only Intel might be able to do this, as the microcode updates are signed and protected by strong cryptography. In recent years there have however been some major advances in reverse engineering the x86 microcode interface.

in 2017 a German group was able to reverse engineer the microcode mechanism of AMD K8 and K10 processors. They were then able to write, load and execute complex and even useful programs in microcode. The AMD processors were chosen, because they were the most modern architecture that did not cryptographically sign their microcode updates.

In 2020 a Russian group was able to unlock the latest Intel Atom processors and gain access to their internal microcode ROM and other internal register files.

The Russians were also able to break the RC4 cryptography and load self-signed microcode to the processors. If 2020 Intel Atoms could be hacked, then I suspect 2008 Penryns can be hacked as well. The Atom processors have an undocumented instruction that unlocks the internals. I suspect Penryns have a similar instruction.

Adding opcodes?

The one piece that may be missing from this potential hack is the ability to add new opcodes to the processors. There is some mechanism that translates opcodes to entry point addresses in the microcode ROM and RAM. Microcode updates change the behavior of existing opcodes but do not add new entry points. The updatable Match Patch Registers only change the sequence of micro instruction execution.

If however the Invalid Opcode exception is generated in microcode, then it should be possible to hook the missing SSE4.2 instructions.

Reactions: garibaldo and Dayo

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I have had a question for a while that fits in here very well:

Is there a way to test the bootrom in a virtualization?

I have an open Mac Pro setup where I can change the flash IC - but this is of course unsatisfactory for trial and error.

If I have a dream:
Replace the bootrom.bin file in a virtualization with my own attempts and then be able to boot the virtual machine without damage.

Reactions: Petri Krohn

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
SSE 4.2 Emulation for MacPro 3,1 Monterey OS

MacPro 3.1 SSE 4.2 Emulation not working with opencore 0.6.8 montertery OS 12.6.8 .but can achieve full acceleration with RX 580 i it possible to activate SSE 4.2 Emulation can be enable for Monterey latest OS

thedoger82

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Hi there, hope everything is well!!!

Well i just got a macpro 2008 3,1 with nvidia gtx680, and i used open core 1.0.1 to install big sur, everything is running "well".

But, i have a software (arkaos - grandvj 2.7.3) for video mixing, and when i try to open it up, i got a pop up saying "missing sse4.2"

And, thats how i found about this (MouSSE) patch, you know, looking for a posible solution.

Now, my problem is i cant install Mousse,

1) expand the ZIP file, then the enclosed .TGZ file

when i expand there was no tgz file but these 3 files:
-AAAMouSSE.kext
-MouSSEstats
-ReadMe.txt

2) open a terminal
which i can

3) cd {path to the .TGZ file}/MouSSE_RELEASE
so i used cd {path to /MouSSE_RELEASE}

4) sudo tar cf - ./AAAMouSSE.kext | (cd /Library/Extensions;tar xf -)
I got this answer from terminal:

./AAAMouSSE.kext/: Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'

5) sudo kextcache -i /
i have not done this step cos i understand the step before didnt work

Any idea how i can solve this?

TIA

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
got a pop up saying "missing sse4.2"

Any idea how i can solve this?
A major part of OpenCore is that you do not need to install kexts in the "direct" manner. If you need a kext, you should inject it via OpenCore. The OCLP would have already set OpenCore up to include AAAMouSSE on an MP31 and installing it again could lead to kernel panics when both are loaded together. So in general, you should not manually install MouSSE, or any other kext, when using OpenCore; whether set up by the OCLP or any other way. Add it to OpenCore if you need it.

Back to MouSSE, it works because most programs *assume* SSE42 is available and issue commands which MouSSE intercepts and sorts out. If a program does what should be done, which is to check that SSE42 support is available before issuing relavant commands or before starting up, it will get a negative result because MouSSE does not advertise SSE42 support.

One way around this is to spoof SSE42 support. MyBootMgr gives the option to spoof this to advertise support on behalf of MouSSE when setting OpenCore up on MP31 (you need to select the option not to use defaults as it does not do this by default). Note though that this may be futile if the program queries the CPU directly and thereby bypasses the spoofing.

You can read more about this limitation here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/32064422

I will look into modifying MyBootMgr's ConfigFactory app to start spoofing SSE42 on MP31 by default. Just need to remember why I decided against it in the first place. I think it may have been out of an overarching principle of leaving such things for the user to decide. Would probably just revert to showing the option dialogue by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: G4fanboy

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello everybody

I'm trying to install MouSSE via Terminal on my cMP3,1 running a dosdude-patched High Sierra (I see no MouSSE patch in the dosdude install).

I have an AMD Radeon WX5100 to use for a subsequent install of OCLP to run something more current than HS. When I boot with it installed I only get a grey screen. Since I bought the card used I thought I should try it under HS to check that the grey screen doesn't indicate a broken card.

I followed the installation instructions in the first post of the thread and directed the two sudo commands to my macOS volume's Library/Extensions folder.

After the first sudo command I get several messages that Terminal isn't able to create various things, see at bottom.

I suppose that I am either doing something wrong or that the MouSSE kext can't be installed on my system, but either way I'd be very grateful for your help.

Cheers
Philip

./._AAAMouSSE.kext.iWQhol: Can't create '._AAAMouSSE.kext.iWQhol'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/: Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/._Contents.CqAAYp: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/._Contents.CqAAYp'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/.__CodeSignature.XQW01F: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/.__CodeSignature.XQW01F'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._Info.plist.MyfWjo: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._Info.plist.MyfWjo'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._MacOS.qSs3wl: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._MacOS.qSs3wl'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/._MouSSE.6MrUn6: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/._MouSSE.6MrUn6'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/._CodeResources.eNRU5e: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/._CodeResources.eNRU5e'
./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources'
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents) failed: No such file or directory
tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext) failed: No such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I realise Easter got in the way but if anyone has a suggestion why the installation fails I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance
Philip

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Looks like a permissions issue.
Perhaps try a kext installer such as KextBeast.

Reactions: pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brilliant, thank you for suggesting that. The kext installed perfectly with KextBeast and the card works great. I'm very grateful for your help! :)
cheers
Philip

Looks like a permissions issue.
Perhaps try a kext installer such as KextBeast.

Reactions: Dayo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.