Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Aside from iPod touch or Apple Watch, would anyone have a recommendation on a basic MP3 player that would be able to play my Apple Music offline? Something like the old iPod shuffle or nano. I currently subscribe to Apple Music Family and would like something simple for my kids to use where they can download a playlist, plug in their headphones and listen on the go? Don't want a full featured device with app download capabilities, and don't want to spend $100 or so on a device for them. Just want to be able to legally play the downloaded DRM iTunes music.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking if you can stream Apple Music to the iPod, or sync local music files from a Mac/PC? Apple Music will not work on an iPod shuffle or Nano, only local music files synced. I am not sure about the downloading playlist thing, if it gives you sound files like .m4a or .mp3, then you should be able to use iTunes/Music and sync them.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
He wants a device that is solely for music that supports syncing the DRM'd Apple Music files.

Like the Mighty sans Spotify Premium (still needs a phone with their app).

Apple has not opened the service to stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.