Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When an mp3 is double clicked, it used to be imported into the iTunes music list and play. Today, when i double click on an mp3, nothing happens... strange... can this be fixed?
Also, when an mp3 is selected and spacebar is pressed nothing happens. It used to play when spacebar was pressed.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Could it be the mp3 files issue? I did try an Mp3 downloaded/converted from mp3juices :)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Its not the fist time my iTunes library is populated by mp3. When i double clicked on an mp3 it would automatically install in the iTunes songs library by default... suddenly it has stopped... it just does nothing when double clicked... nor if i drag n drop it in the iTunes window! Im telling ya its very weird!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Sounds like you have a file that may be tagged as mp3 but is probably not one... or perhaps a damaged one. If you open it in Quicktime- or any other MP3 player- does it play?

It sounds like you have other MP3s in iTunes. Drag one OUT of iTunes, then back in and play it. That will confirm that your iTunes app will import & play valid MP3s. Or rip a song from a CD as MP3 and then drop that into (your copy of) iTunes and play it. I know mine has no trouble at all playing them.

Once you rule out something wrong with your iTunes app- that yours will in fact play valid MP3 files- you can redirect your attention to the file itself. All signs point it it NOT being a MP3 or perhaps a damaged one.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Its not the fist time my iTunes library is populated by mp3. When i double clicked on an mp3 it would automatically install in the iTunes songs library by default... suddenly it has stopped... it just does nothing when double clicked... nor if i drag n drop it in the iTunes window! Im telling ya its very weird!
do a get info on it. you can get OrangeCard from the App Store (free) and drag the file on it and it will show what that file is.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I took out (moved) a playing mp3 from the iTunes library, i deleted it from the library, then double clicked it and i was installed back in the iTunes library (it automatically started playing).
The mp3 im trying to install in the iTunes library, is an mp3 created by mp3juice... i wonder, might it have some special rights that do not allow it to install etc?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Now that you've ruled out an iTunes issue, it must be the file.

Be sure the original is a valid music file. Will it- the original- play in something like Quicktime?

And/Or will the original file go into iTunes? If so, import the original and make your MP3 (or AAC) using iTunes File "Convert" option. In other words, cut mp3juice out of the equation.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If anyone can help, here is the .mp3 file thats not working in iTunes, but is working in VLC
So so strange!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Now that makes me suspect you are downloading the file as a video instead of the music only. This is common when using "free youtube downloaders." It may display as a blank screen (video) and play the music but iTunes would not see that as a MP3 file. Tagging it MP3 doesn't make it an MP3. For example, grab some image jpeg and try to rename it with .mp3 at the end. It will work but that file is very obviously NOT an MP3.

I don't know the functionality of mp3juice. Youtube downloaders will sometimes let you choose to download the audio only or download the whole thing. I looked it up and their site shows this: "allows you to download songs as mp3 (audio) or mp4 formats in HD and Full HD based on quality availability." You might have a setting to toggle to choose audio only. Has it worked (went into iTunes) with ANY other audio you've downloaded? If they all work in VLC but won't import into iTunes, the fault it likely in mp3juice... and probably only a setting.

VLC is basically swiss army knife. It can open things well beyond Apples codec range. Again, did you try opening it in Quicktime? If you open it in Quicktime, does it play there? If it plays in Quicktime, it should load in iTunes. If not, File, Export, Audio Only to export it as an audio-only file. If it is technically a video file now, that will strip off the video portion. If exported from Quicktime to an audio file, iTunes will almost certainly import it.

If you don't have access to Quicktime, you might try the same export approach with VLC

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It will not play in Quicktime.
Did u by any chance download it from the link i posted?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
No, downloading files posted by strangers on bulletin boards can lead to viruses.

Did you try that last bit (link) for VLC export to MP3? That should yield you an MP3 file that will go into iTunes.

Again, there is probably a setting in mp3juice to make it save the file as MP3 only. I now more strongly think you probably have the whole file... or a file saved as a video file... maybe a 1 frame video file. VLC is "swiss army knife" so it can handle it. Quicktime is much more specific about what it can play, so it can't. iTunes leans heavily on Quicktime, so if Quicktime can't handle it, iTunes can't either.

Either try the VLC export-to-MP3 process or look through mp3juice and find the toggle or similar that will export a MP3 (ONLY). Either should get you what you are seeking. When it will play in Quicktime, it will very likely play as you expect in iTunes.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ηmm i downloaded again the mp3 and this time it seems to be working! Something must have happened during the first download and it corrupted it... i guess thats why it couldn't be imported in iTunes.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

JJH1056

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
Sounds like you have a file that may be tagged as mp3 but is probably not one... or perhaps a damaged one. If you open it in Quicktime- or any other MP3 player- does it play?

It sounds like you have other MP3s in iTunes. Drag one OUT of iTunes, then back in and play it. That will confirm that your iTunes app will import & play valid MP3s. Or rip a song from a CD as MP3 and then drop that into (your copy of) iTunes and play it. I know mine has no trouble at all playing them.

Once you rule out something wrong with your iTunes app- that yours will in fact play valid MP3 files- you can redirect your attention to the file itself. All signs point it it NOT being a MP3 or perhaps a damaged one.
You solved my issue. Thank you! I was sent an MP3 file that came from YouTube. I couldn't get it into Music/iTunes. I did exactly what you said with Quicktime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.