Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayAUS

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
Password is “rom”

Ahh I tried that, think I must have had caps lock on - thanks for your quick response!
[doublepost=1544696965][/doublepost]Sorry another question:

How do I go about finding the correct EEPROM ID for my Mac Pro?

I am met with this message on ROMTool and just want to ensure I don't brick anything...

EDIT: After reading previous posts, I managed to locate the EFI chip and lucky that I did, the default one was unfortunately incorrect via ROMTool.

HRwDmoN.jpg

e74a1b50-a468-4f72-83c4-446ef9201b0d

Attachments

• Brick.jpg
    Brick.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:

JayAUS

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
Successfully flashed a Mac Pro with a PCIE NVME Samsung 970 EVO on High Sierra 10.13.6, now running ROM MP51.0089.B00 while I wait for the power pin cables to install the new GPU so I can update to Mojave due to this new "metal capable" requirement.

Thanks everyone on these forum posts and all those that contributed to make this Flashing ROM a reality :)

P.S - Can anyone advise? Once I fit the new GPU can I simply run the Mojave install to update to the latest system despite flashing the ROM previously? Or is there another process I need to follow? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

ArminAlbz

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Edit: After looking at screen shots others have posted, I just realized my link speeds are only reporting as 2.5 GT/s.. Which would perfectly explain why my speeds are half of what I was expecting. I have the blade installed in slot 2. The adapter card is just a cheap one I got from Fry's for $15. It says on the box it's a x4 card. Could it be the adapter card? Or do I have a bigger problem? Maybe something in the BIOS is configured incorrectly. I have a true 5,1 machine. Mid 2010, came with the dual 2.93 Xenons. Am I in the right slot? I thought 1 and 2 were x16 slots, and the others were x4..

Wow, well that was an exhausting 20 hours! Thanks for all the great information, tutorials, and resources! You guys are awesome. So, I currently have my Mac Pro 5,1 (mid-2010) booting and running on a Samsung 960 Evo NVME SSD. I am on High Sierra Version 10.13.5 (17F77), and Boot ROM Version MP51.0087.B00.

I followed the instructions on the Google Doc sheet and they seem to be working perfectly, although there were a few hiccups along the way due to me being a noob. Yesterday, I was on Boot Rom Version 84. I flashed my ROM with the updated EFI Firmware, and it worked great! I was booting and running on the NVME drive. But, my speeds were slow! Like 600-700 MB/s... I thought they were supposed to be much faster, at least it seems like others are getting much faster speeds. So, I started looking around and noticed my Disk was formatted as Mac OS Extended, and not APFS. I couldn't figure out how to reformat without doing a clean install, every time I tried recovery it would keep the same file system. I couldn't think of anything else that it could be, so I went ahead and did it. Anyways, it make the rom hack obsolete, and I was back to square 1. I only have 1 Sata SSD that was in my PC. Long story short I cloned that drive to an old spinner laying around, then wiped it, put it in the mac and did a fresh high sierra install on the SSD. I couldn't for the life of me get a spinner drive to format in APFS. Once I got that set up I was able to once again flash the rom following the steps in the drive doc. I was a little weary because it seems like people have been having mixed results on boot rom version 87, but what the hell.. I then put in the NVME drive and restored to that drive from the Sata SSD that I had just installed. It worked! I powered off, took out the sata drive, and am now able to boot and run great with only the PCIe NVME 960 Evo in a x4 adapter.

So, once again, THANK YOU! Now, one question for you brilliant people. My speeds STILL seem to be slow.. Do I have a defective blade? Is this not slow, and I'm just ignorant? I'm still getting around 700 MB/s on all the tests I run. The drive is in APFS format.. I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. See attached photos. View attachment 767232 View attachment 767233 View attachment 767234 View attachment 767235 View attachment 767236 View attachment 767237 View attachment 767238 View attachment 767239 View attachment 767232 View attachment 767233 View attachment 767234 View attachment 767235 View attachment 767236 View attachment 767237 View attachment 767238 View attachment 767239

Hello!, first that all congratulations !!! i have a mac pro 5,1 and i wanna do the same, can you please help me with de document!! thnks!!!!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
This is not one of my threads, but this thread should be closed by moderation. There are god info here, but most are incorrect or just totally obsolete.

People shouldn't be messing with NVMe injection anymore, unless it's for a MP3,1.

When i try to extract the romtool.zip it is asking for a password.

ROMTool zip password is "rom".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.