Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avetisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
After carefully reading the specs for M1 MAX and differences between the two models (14 & 16), I noticed only one thing which sets the both appart (aside from the obvious body size and less obvious battery life): High Power Mode (HPM).

I was curious about how much power it would actually bring, but could only find one benchmark, which shows anything but positive results.

If I trust the results of this benchmark, there is literally no gain from HPM.

My main concerns are noise and heat, which generally go together.

After feeling screwed up by Apple when I bought the MBP 2018 with its i9 which can be used as a heater or to cook, if you can tolerate the fans constant noise, even when nothing much is happening, I really want to avoid the same mistake.

I mostly make music using a lot of software instruments and effects so I want something that will give the best performance, but I can’t stand the fans noise.

So I’m wondering if:
- the MBP 16 would be a better choice because even without the HPM it may have less heat issues (i.e more space to vent);
- or if I don’t care about screen size and HPM, then I would have exactly the same thing with the 14 model.

Any advice/comment is more than welcomed ?

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
M1pros should be much more powerful and efficient than the intel offerings. That said, your workflow is heavy on the CPU, and the real advantages of the M1Pro over the M1 are GPU based. Maybe try an M1 13 inch model, and see how that goes. The air doesn’t have a fan at all. If it stumbles in your audio sessions, then you might benefit from a 14 inch model, but remember, you’re only getting two more cores, even with the Max. So essentially just about 20 percent better performance. The air would be silent, but if you’re really working the CPU with lots of instruments and effects, it might start to chug. Either way you should expect dramatically improved performance over the 2018.

Reactions: kate2kate

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
Believe me brother I'm tossing and turning debating 14 vs 16. I was watching Max Tech and he was doing a Lightroom classic photo export on the 14" and the fans kicked on. It's making me reconsider the 14" altogether. I honestly don't think we'll get the best out of the M1 Max chip on a 14" body. I think Max Tech is doing that video next so I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on that.

Reactions: avetisk

avetisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
Believe me brother I'm tossing and turning debating 14 vs 16. I was watching Max Tech and he was doing a Lightroom classic photo export on the 14" and the fans kicked on. It's making me reconsider the 14" altogether. I honestly don't think we'll get the best out of the M1 Max chip on a 14" body. I think Max Tech is doing that video next so I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on that.
Feels like the same issue/lesson than with the i9: having a more powerful CPU without the appropriate cooling is not only useless, and can even come out less performant (at least it was the case with the Intel i9 vs i7).

Currently I have the Air M1, and it’s really great, expect the fire power is too low for me.

So I guess, I will maybe wait for the 2022 upgrade, if there’s any coming…

But anyway, thanks for the video, helped me a lot making up my mind ?

Reactions: Jl006p
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.