Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarlMcFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Hi, I have a dilemma here...I compose experiemental electronic music, and I'm trying to decide between getting an mpc or an intel imac. I've been using computers for a while, and would like to get more into hardware based music. I like the idea of a more hands on approach, and computers don't give me that. I use hardware synths, turntables, mixer, and studio monitors already. Personally I think an mpc would be a great addition to my setup. I was using ableton live 5 and max/msp, but I think I will sell those(pm me if interested...I'll transfer the licenses for you!). I also like the fact that computers give alot more flexibility, but I'd really like to simplify my setup. Any advice?

EarlMcFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I think so too. Yeah, I used to have a 12" powerbook that I used to make music on...way more stable and flexible than any computer I've ever used. It's too bad I sold it though. :( I'll probably get the 17" intel imac.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
how 'bout an M-Audio trigger finger (basically an MPC without a sound module, it's just a USB MIDI controller) with an intel iMac and either reason, live, or logic. you get all the functionality of an MPC with the flexibility of a computer.

EarlMcFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah I thought about one of those...I had an M-Audio Axiom 25 midi controller...it was a pretty sweet keyboard controller too. Even had 8 pads to trigger sounds with. Too bad I had to sell that too :( I'm so poor :( :(

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
EarlMcFish said:
Yeah I thought about one of those...I had an M-Audio Axiom 25 midi controller...it was a pretty sweet keyboard controller too. Even had 8 pads to trigger sounds with. Too bad I had to sell that too :( I'm so poor :( :(
you could also try one of the akai pad controllers, which are surprisingly $50 less than the M-Audio
it's called the MPD16

EarlMcFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
That looks awesome...that would work perfectly for what I do, and it's only a hundred bucks.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
EarlMcFish said:
That looks awesome...that would work perfectly for what I do, and it's only a hundred bucks.
yeah. and since it's made by akai, it feels a lot like an MPC. fire up live on the iMac, and man, you could make some cool stuff.

ibn

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2006
yeah if all you want is the feel of the pads then go with the mpd16. most people purchase mpc's because of their sequencer, not the pads. i don't think you should get a mpc1000. even though the functions on it are comparable with the 2000xl, in quality it lacks greatly. either go for the 2500 or the iMac.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
i only have exp w/ the intel mac, and can tell you i absolutely love it. no exp with the mpc though. but i'll vote for the intel mac!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I've always fancied a big touch screen with Reason. Dragging those cables around with your fingers.... ooooooh, it's almost like having a second g/f, but not quite :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.