Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 1, 4 Episodes in, this is good. I’d call it secret agent genre, with covert missions. Yes, I’m familiar with the movie which is also on Prime. The writing is good, the actors have good chemistry. Each episode is a date.
In the movie, Mr. and Mrs. Smith don’t know what each other does for a living, but they are both assassins and they become entangled in jobs.The hook in the movie is a misunderstanding.

IMG_3131.jpeg
Spoiler-ish if you don’t want to know anything about it.
The series is different than the movie plot described above. It‘s labeled as a comedy, but really it’s a drama with humorous elements. It’s about two people who are hired as a team by an organization, to pose as husband and wife, who I think, they think is connected to the US Govt somehow, but not sure about that and it is undetermined who they work for.

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I have watched about 2.5 episodes and am still unsure how much I like it...You may have convinced me to keep going.

Reactions: Huntn

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Just finished the season. Excellent. The series does a much better job of establishing the spy world as relationship metaphor than the movie. The two have very different tones, with the series being darker and more grounded in the real world. The series also begins to establish a mythos around the spy world. Absolutely fantastic casting. Glover co-created the series and directed the season ending episode, which I think is the best.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have watched about 2.5 episodes and am still unsure how much I like it...You may have convinced me to keep going.

Just finished the season. Excellent. The series does a much better job of establishing the spy world as relationship metaphor than the movie. The two have very different tones, with the series being darker and more grounded in the real world. The series also begins to establish a mythos around the spy world. Absolutely fantastic casting. Glover co-created the series and directed the season ending episode, which I think is the best.
So far Episode four, double date was a big surprise, funny in a situational, crazy way. I would not have let them close the door on me! (You have to watch it). :) And Episode 5 with Ron Pearlman was the most James Bond-like episode to date, excellent. I love Ron Pearlman. Episode six, which equates to couples therapy helps develop the characters’ relationship, but is a drag to sit through at least for me. Two episodes to go…:)

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Episode six, which equates to couples therapy helps develop the characters’ relationship, but is a drag to sit through at least for me.
Yes. Episode Six was slow, but necessary to establish the depth of their commitment to each other. Episode Six heightens the gravity of Episode Seven, which leads to the inevitable actions of Episode Eight. Just wish there could have been more time (i.e. episodes) to build Jane's character arc; need more back story, etc. Eight episode season is not enough episodes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Great show, creative in plot and story structure and a minor spoiler-
It does find some level of equivalence with the movie, and it ends With a cliff hanger.
…and it has been renewed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.