Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Some interesting things game out of Build yesterday. I wasn't really following or paying attention but seeing the news sites, I thought it would be nice to jot down some of things
Microsoft Build 2020, Summarised
Microsoft is announcing a bunch of new things for Windows developers at Build 2020. The company is not revealing any new features for consumers, but there are some key announcements for developers:

• Project Reunion: Microsoft’s new vision for unifying Windows 10 app development that decouples existing and new Win32/UWP APIs from the OS. As part of Project Reunion, Microsoft is releasing the first preview of WinUI 3.0.
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL is getting support for running Linux GUI apps in Windows 10, as well as support for GPU compute workflows, and a quicker way to install WSL in Windows.
  • Windows Package Manager: Windows 10 is getting its own, built-in package manager in the OS that will make it significantly quicker and easier to install software on your PC.
  • Windows Terminal 1.0: Windows Terminal, Microsoft’s modern command-line application, is hitting 1.0. The app is now available for enterprise use.
I'm particularly interested in Project Reunion, maybe we'll finally see the end of UWPs? Also Windows Terminal is something that interests me greatly, as one who takes advantage of the cmd shell for work.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks for the thread! Terminal has been great already, so I expect good things from it.
Personally I’m excited for GUI apps in WSL. That’s one thing I missed trying it and it keeps me using a real Linux.

the package manager is awesome, too. I hope it will be the default in distributing applications for windows. It’s just so convenient

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.