Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieterdreist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Roma
Hello everybody,

I am experiencing some strange issues with MS Excel for Mac (both versions, 2011 and 2016, local full business version, not office 365 subscription) on OS-X 10.11 El Capitan, MBP 2014, when accessing a network share on a Synology NAS via CIFS. At first it works and I can open and save files as expected, but occasionally Excel (and rarely Word) looses the connection to the server and saves locally (without even notifying me). Other programs don't loose the connection, so it appears to be an Excel problem.

This is somehow serious because it can result in data loss (because current modifications are written to a local file without me noting it, but next time I will open the file I will use the remote version again and loose the local stuff if I don't note it was written there).

I am interested to know if
  1. other users are suffering from the same problem
  2. someone knows how to prevent or circumvent the disconnections
  3. if there are excel settings that would tell about the lost connection rather than silently writing to local
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.