Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all

so I have a registered version of Office 2021 for mac and all with all suites I'm able to access the Preferences menu, except Word. It's simply greyed out. Before I try contact MS, perhaps someone here has a theory. I bought this MBP M2 (Ventura) and Office this year, directly from Apple.

Thank you.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You can try to close Word and delete ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
You can try to close Word and delete ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word
Just making sure I've got the correct one. Finder GoTo with your path, leads me to a Data folder with various other folders inside. Just want to make sure am not deleting anything outside of Word.

path.png data.png expanded.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Yes. You can delete/move all that is inside the folder Microsoft Word or the folder itself. All will be recreated when you start Word again. The folder contains the user settings for Word.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Yes. You can delete/move all that is inside the folder Microsoft Word or the folder itself. All will be recreated when you start Word again. The folder contains the user settings for Word.
I've binned that Data folder, restarted the Mac. It was repopulated but Preference for Word remains greyed out. This Office 21 install was straight from the MS website.

tempImageTheLIH.png

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
@bogdanw thank you for those links. I think I found the culprit as there was still an "activation" key symbol present with all the Office Apps. It's odd as it was all registered, could be actively used too and was verified (with transient message) whenever opened.

So I clicked on the key symbol, logged in within Word, logged out and that missing Prefs option was no longer grey. It is further bizarre this was only missing in Word alone. Oh well, the MS way..sigh.

I'll mark this thread as resolved now. Appreciate your help

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.