Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Hey Guys,

I have been running MS Office 2011 on a my 2011 MBP and then my 2013 MBPr. I bought the disc in 2011 and it had a license for 5 computers. I have no idea how it I got it on the 2013, because it didn't have a disc drive.

Fast forward to last week. I ordered a 2017 MBP and a 12.9 IPP2. I realized that I will ned to get MS office on the MBP, but I can't find the box. After 6 years, I am good with buying a new version.

The question is: Do I go with MS Office 365 and pay the annual fee or do I get a standard version? Is there a reason to go either way?

Thank you in advance,
Don

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
365 has cloud storage included in the price, so that might be valuable. Also, if you like to update to new versions then a subscription should be cheaper.

Otherwise, purchasing it in full is cheaper if you don't need the new features that come with the new versions. Like your example, you got 6 years of use from one purchase.

Reactions: bernuli

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Several things to consider:
  1. how many machines will you install it on?
  2. how many users do you need?
  3. which Office applications do you need?
  4. will you use the email and cloud storage provided?
  5. will you use Office apps on iOS as well?
Consider all of these while comparing Office365 subscription versions vs. purchasing the suite. Office365 is a real deal for those that have numerous computers, iOS devices, and family members that need services and applications. It's only when you are a single user that needs Office on a single device that I would even consider purchasing Office outside of 365.

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Hey Guys,

Thank you.

365 has cloud storage included in the price, so that might be valuable. Also, if you like to update to new versions then a subscription should be cheaper.

Otherwise, purchasing it in full is cheaper if you don't need the new features that come with the new versions. Like your example, you got 6 years of use from one purchase.

I have been using MS Office 2011 with no issues for 6 years, so upgrading to new versions is not that big of a deal. I have that installed in my other MBP's, and have no need to upgrade. I do use MS Word and Excel on my phone and current Ipad Air 2, but I think I heard they are not free on tablets over 10". So it is possible that I would need Office for both the 2017 MBP and the 12.9 IPP2.

Several things to consider:
  1. how many machines will you install it on?
  2. how many users do you need?
  3. which Office applications do you need?
  4. will you use the email and cloud storage provided?
  5. will you use Office apps on iOS as well?
Consider all of these while comparing Office365 subscription versions vs. purchasing the suite. Office365 is a real deal for those that have numerous computers, iOS devices, and family members that need services and applications. It's only when you are a single user that needs Office on a single device that I would even consider purchasing Office outside of 365.

1. One MBP and possibly that 12.9 iPP2 (depending on if MS requires the purchase for Tablets over 10")
2. Just me for now, but I could see that changing in the very near future. My wife is good, but my son is 5. They use a lot of Google Apps at his school, but you never know.
3. I basically use Word, Excel, and PPT. I am a huge Evernote fan, so I might be interested in trying OneNote
4. I will not use the email, I will stick with Gmail. I have a ton of space between my Google drive and iCloud now that I have been upgraded to 2T on Apple.
5. I am not a huge user of Office on tablets, but every once in a while, I will use it. Again, if the individual apps don't work on the 12.9, that will impact my decision.

Thank you,
Don

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Some additional bits to supplement what's offered, coming from an O365 convert.

I'm testing the new OS, and Office 2011 just isn't working properly; likely not coincidently MS is ceasing support for Office 2011 on 10/10/17, about the same timeframe that macOS 13 will hit the interwebs. It's a way off in the future, MS is terminating sale of their Office suites with standalone licensing in about 4 years, going subscription-only after that.

Second, shop around. I get the Home license with 5 installs. I look for deals on Amazon and match them at Best Buy or get the $50 1-day deal for Home at a B&M MS Store; the license codes are stackable. Right now, Walmart is selling the Home license for $80, $20 more than the 1-install Personal account - a no-brainer.

The Personal/Home O365 accounts don't have email. The Business/Enterprise accounts have email. You will need an O365 account to use all of the features of MS apps on the larger iPads (I use the original iPP). I only use Word on my iPP, and not the Mac suite - IMHO the Mac suite is a gimped, pale version of the Windows suite (which I use in a VM on my Mac; IMO the stock Win 10 Mail/People/Calendar apps offer more features than the Mac Outlook app…).

If your business uses MS Office, they may subscribe to HUP, MS's Home Use Program - $10 for a home use installation of the full suite.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
1. One MBP and possibly that 12.9 iPP2 (depending on if MS requires the purchase for Tablets over 10")
Keep in mind that the free Office apps for iOS don't offer full functionality even on small devices. The only way to enable all features is with a subscription.
The Personal/Home O365 accounts don't have email. The Business/Enterprise accounts have email.
All MS accounts include Outlook.com email, which is now based on Exchange infrastructure (so you get full support for all the PIM features in Outlook). It also supports EAS, so you get true push email using the native iOS mail client.

ShufromChina

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Keep in mind that the free Office apps for iOS don't offer full functionality even on small devices. The only way to enable all features is with a subscription.
All MS accounts include Outlook.com email, which is now based on Exchange infrastructure (so you get full support for all the PIM features in Outlook). It also supports EAS, so you get true push email using the native iOS mail client.

The outlook.com email client is lacking quite some useful features in the outlook app, such as managing groups.

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
If your business uses MS Office, they may subscribe to HUP, MS's Home Use Program - $10 for a home use installation of the full suite.

This might be a key, I believe I can get a license from work. I hadn't thought of this! Thank you!!!

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Huh? I was alluding solely to Office 365, not related to MS. Sure, Outlook.com is "free", but I use my O365 through a hosted solution and apply my key numbers to the host - MS's Admin panel is convoluted IMHO compared to some O365 hosts. Other "Outlook.com-free" options besides MS for Office 365 exist. Cheers.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Huh? I was alluding solely to Office 365, not related to MS. Sure, Outlook.com is "free", but I use my O365 through a hosted solution
You said that the personal Office 365 accounts don't have email. But realistically, you get Outlook.com email on the same account that you apply the subscription to, it is fully supported by Outlook, and it uses the Office 365 web interface since the migration to Exchange. So, I'd say you do get email, although it obviously doesn't have enterprise features.
[doublepost=1497314681][/doublepost]
The outlook.com email client is lacking quite some useful features in the outlook app, such as managing groups.
Contact groups actually work in Outlook.com now.

ShufromChina

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You said that the personal Office 365 accounts don't have email. But realistically, you get Outlook.com email on the same account that you apply the subscription to, it is fully supported by Outlook, and it uses the Office 365 web interface since the migration to Exchange. So, I'd say you do get email, although it obviously doesn't have enterprise features.
[doublepost=1497314681][/doublepost]Contact groups actually work in Outlook.com now.
I was referring to the other sort of groups. You can create conversations within the group. Manage shared files, team site, etc. more than just an email address to email to. That sort of group (don't know how to call it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.