Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like MSFT is about to update their Surface line of computers.

Microsoft plans October 12 event to address its very out-of-date Surface lineup

Microsoft is planning a product event for 10am EST on October 12. The announcement page doesn't give much away—it's a multi-colored version of the Windows 11 desktop wallpaper swirl, which could mean a lot of things. But the handwritten "save the date" text (and also rumors reported by The Verge and other outlets) suggest that it will be focused on Microsoft's Surface hardware lineup.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I seem to get the feeling that while MSFT was all in with their Surface products a few years ago, they have since cooled to the product line. I could be wrong, but they've let these whither on the vine for too long

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am hoping the delay has been to give them time to not only refresh the designs ( a little, they are not bad as they are) and deal with battery life, efficiency and so on. The Surface Pro can and should be much more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
And every year, used car salesman Panos disappoints.
I wouldn't even go that far, He has the charisma of lawn clippings.

Let's hope it's different this time.
Their surface devices had a lot of potential, there were some very good products, but MSFT always seemed to make one or two design decisions that held the product back from greatness.

I remember the original Surface Studio, it looked like it could have been a game changer, except they were charging a premium price but included a 5400 rpm spinning drive (high capacity SSDs while around were still too expensive).

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yep think that was it, looked an interesting format
It did look really interesting, but it looks like Microsoft cancelled it, i do hope they bring it back at some point tho. I will be watching the Microsoft event. Now that I’ve gone all in on my Samsung S22 Ultra and Galaxy Watch (gave my iPhone 13 Por Max to a family member and returned the 14 Pro Max) I will be looking at a PC next.
There are some really great features that work with Android devices.

I may look at the Surface Pro 9 and hope that it works for me this year. Failing that, maybe a Surface Laptop so that i can do a bit of PC gaming. Hopefully the event is a good one.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I really hope there is a complete redesign of the surface laptop 5! I loved the laptop 3 and 4 but now they are a bit outdated. The bezels need to be slimmer, would be nice for maybe one other port and base storage at least 256gb. New chips as well which I believe all of these things have been rumored in the next surface laptop.

In my opinion surface laptops for non Pro level work are about the best in the business. I love the black all aluminum laptop 4 and the speakers under the keyboard sound amazing to me.

I am very excited about this release and in about 6 months after the release when there are decent sales I may just get one. The only laptop that rivals a MBA in my opinion. I love the lack of bloatware and the ability to get a custom ISO for your specific surface directly from Microsoft as updates and new versions of windows come out.

Reactions: max2

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I really hope there is a complete redesign of the surface laptop 5! I loved the laptop 3 and 4 but now they are a bit outdated. The bezels need to be slimmer, would be nice for maybe one other port and base storage at least 256gb. New chips as well which I believe all of these things have been rumored in the next surface laptop.

In my opinion surface laptops for non Pro level work are about the best in the business. I love the black all aluminum laptop 4 and the speakers under the keyboard sound amazing to me.

I am very excited about this release and in about 6 months after the release when there are decent sales I may just get one. The only laptop that rivals a MBA in my opinion. I love the lack of bloatware and the ability to get a custom ISO for your specific surface directly from Microsoft as updates and new versions of windows come out.

Can the Surface laptops handle PC gaming? I’ve been wanting to play some PC games for a while now. I think Microsoft should make a Surface Gaming laptop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Can the Surface laptops handle PC gaming?

The surface pro (tablet) - not really
Surface laptop, can be equipped with an AMD processor and the 15" model an AMD GPU. I wouldn't consider these gaming laptops however.

Reactions: Technerd108

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The surface pro (tablet) - not really
Surface laptop, can be equipped with an AMD processor and the 15" model an AMD GPU. I wouldn't consider these gaming laptops however.
I’ve just been looking at the rumours for the Surface event. There is mention of a Surface Gaming Laptop, if true that could be interesting.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Can the Surface laptops handle PC gaming? I’ve been wanting to play some PC games for a while now. I think Microsoft should make a Surface Gaming laptop.
Depends on your definition of games :)

Latest triple AAA titles and FPS at high refresh rates etc no, modest games at reasonable settings then yes

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Depends on your definition of games :)

Latest triple AAA titles and FPS at high refresh rates etc no, modest games at reasonable settings then yes
Nothing like console quality, I have a PS5 for that. Theres just games like, Two Point Hospital, Two Point Campus, Ages of Empires type of games and the new Company of heroes 3 looks good. They are mainly point and click, RPG type of games. Ones that are meant too be played on PC and on Steam usually.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
No. They do not have dedicated GPU just integrated. If you want to do PC gaming then a Razor would be a good choice if you like the Surface aesthetic. Razor laptops are not cheap but they have dedicated gpu like Nvidia RTX3060 and up. There are tons of gaming laptops but most of the lower end sacrifice on screen and build quality.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I’ve just been looking at the rumours for the Surface event. There is mention of a Surface Gaming Laptop, if true that could be interesting.

Seeing how Microsoft Surface devices manage thermals it will be very interesting indeed. If MS actually puts some effort into the design they could actually pull of a cleaner and thinner design than a Razor and still offer decent thermals or they could make it too thin and light while ignoring thermals and it will throttle like crazy.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
No. They do not have dedicated GPU just integrated. If you want to do PC gaming then a Razor would be a good choice if you like the Surface aesthetic. Razor laptops are not cheap but they have dedicated gpu like Nvidia RTX3060 and up. There are tons of gaming laptops but most of the lower end sacrifice on screen and build quality.
I’m not talking AA titles, i have a PS5 for console level gaming. I just want something to play games that are not best suited to PS5, basically point and click games like Two Point Hospital, Age of Empires, Company of Heroes (the new one will be out later this year) and so on.

I’m going to wait and see if Microsoft announce that rumoured Surface Gaming Laptop OR if that rumour is fake. If that turns out to be the case, i may look at the Surface Laptop 5 or the Surface Laptop Studio, which looks like it could also replace my iPad Pro, so it could be win win, especially now that i‘ve replaced my iPhone altogether with my S22 Ultra.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I’m not talking AA titles, i have a PS5 for console level gaming. I just want something to play games that are not best suited to PS5, basically point and click games like Two Point Hospital, Age of Empires, Company of Heroes (the new one will be out later this year) and so on.

I’m going to wait and see if Microsoft announce that rumoured Surface Gaming Laptop OR if that rumour is fake. If that turns out to be the case, i may look at the Surface Laptop 5 or the Surface Laptop Studio, which looks like it could also replace my iPad Pro, so it could be win win, especially now that i‘ve replaced my iPhone altogether with my S22 Ultra.
Dave I would not worry about it requirements are quite low for your type of games, check FAQ on system minimum requirements :)

I only ever played WOW and that even runs on a bootcamp 12" MacBook from 2015 LOL let alone modern LV CPU with good integrated graphics chips that have come a long way.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Dave I would not worry about it requirements are quite low for your type of games, check FAQ on system minimum requirements :)

I only ever played WOW and that even runs on a bootcamp 12" MacBook from 2015 LOL let alone modern LV CPU with good integrated graphics chips that have come a long way.

Ok cool, If the rumour about a Surface gaming laptop is not true (none of the credible people are even mentioning it, they just saying Surface Pro 9, Surface Laptop 5 and Surface Studio updates). I’m thinking of getting an external monitor and hooking up a Surface Pro 9 OR Surface Laptop Studio (whichever one I decide to buy), that way i can play games and do work at my home office As well as on the go.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I’d like to see a Surface Book 4 as a significant update to the “3” I’ve had since 2018. It is a marvelous laptop, very powerful at the time for business uses, the ability to separate the display and use it as a tablet works surprisingly well and is useful in many more situations than I expected, and coupled with Windows 10 Pro has been a workhorse for me. I’d upgrade to a SB4 in a heartbeat. That said, I’m not really expecting a SB4 to be announced, hope I’m surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.