Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
They can block undervolting? How? Is this some sort of bios setting/restriction?

Pretty bad news. If I understood correctly most machines do profit from it and run much cooler. :/

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Not to mention the screen brightness is not stellar or even close to being acceptable in my opinion. I’m too used to having a 500 nits screen from Apple and from Dell. It’s my opinion and others may have a different opinion

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
From my experience with 2019 GS65 - don't buy it.

1. Still has 5, asymmetrical screws holding CPU + GPU heat plates. Look at the core temp split when he runs AIDA. 11 degrees from the get go, from brand new, hand picked machine send to reviewer. Hint - it gets worse in time. Looking at 33x multiplier this thing can't even hold 45W sustained without thermal throttling.

2. Still stamped aluminum sheet with plastic inserts. When I hold mine one handed in the corner it bends so much that the chassis curvature causes fan blades to start hitting their enclosure. Under own weight, not kidding.

3. Yeah, can't undervolt it. I'm not sure why exactly Intel is so aggressive with protection from plundervolt, the malware needs admin right to exploit it, so you're already screwed if that happens. It is like recalling air bags because they don't deploy when the car is on fire.

4. I gave it to my little one, and caught him pulling keycaps with fingernails. Broke two of them, I bought new keyboard on ebay, but you can't replace it. It is mounted using melted plastic rivets, not even glued like Apple. I just replaced the broken scissors using parts from the new one. I still need to send it for RMA because the green keyboard LEDs are dying like flies.

5. I hate the touchpad, the shape of it, why the hell is it so wide, gets in the way when typing and provides no benefits in return.

6. A year or two ago this was best thin&light gaming notebook on the market. Mostly because it was pretty much the only one (not counting the Razer, but still their 15 incher was late if I remember correctly). Right now there are multiple and better choices.

At least the motherboard is not flipped, and gold accents are gone, so there is some progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.