Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to make a multicoloured gradient but without any fading in between the colours? Im talking about making this in Illustrator.
For example i have created using the gradient tool, the lower image. But between the colours, there is a blur/fade when using the gradient tool. Is it possible not to have the fade when using that tool? I want the result to be like the upper image... is that possible?

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 2.41.42 PM.png

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yes, it is possible, but it's not as easy as it should be. As you can see in the screenshot below, I did it on the right side of the box, but not the left. The secret is creating duplicate spots on the gradient and overlap them by like 1% or less. That second green stop in my gradient bar is actually covering another red and another yellow stop.
ai-gradient1.png

Here is the same gradient, but with the gradient stops slightly moved to show you how many there are of each (basically two of each color)

ai-gradient2.png

Play around with the placement and order you create those gradient stops and you'll be amazed at what you can do with AI's limited gradient tool. Obviously, my gradient doesn't match yours... but that's because I didn't want to waste time trying to exactly match it.

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.