Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the advisor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Long Island
Here is the scenario. I have a PB G4 hosting a 250gb external drive that the other three apple notebooks in my house use as common storage (the shared drive). I am trying to get two of the three notebooks to time machine backup to the shared drive. I am able to mount the drive on the desktop, and have time machine recognize it (by running a permission code through terminal). When I try to execute time machine against the selected drive, it fails, coming back with an error message stating the the drive is not mountable. If I plug the share drive directly into either of the notebooks I am trying to back up over the network, it works, indicating that the drive is formatted properly and registrable, etc.. I seem to be having network issues. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what may resolve my issue? Thanks in advance. :apple:

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Do you happen to have an AirPort Extreme?

If so, try connecting the external drive to it ... that will probably work.

I don't think you can use Time Machine to make back-ups on a drive that's connected to another Mac, even if it's shared. (not sure though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.