Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XMI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Los Angeles, California, USA
There is a serious bug with screensavers on macOS Ventura 13.3:

If you have two monitors on your mac, when the screensaver starts, the content of the main screen will show on the second screen, and the content of the second screen will be missing completely.

• The bug affects third-party screensavers (such as iScreensaver and Aerial )
  • it also affects some (but not all) Apple screensavers: for example, Apple's "Hello" screensaver is not affected, but the "Message" screensaver is affected
  • the bug is random, so if you test, be sure to test multiple times -- we are seeing failure rates of between 10% and 90%.
  • This has been reported multiple times to Apple (Feedback cases FB12023530 and FB12007471 )

We are seeing it with yesterday's RC release (13.3 22E252) and are worried this will make it into the public release.

Unknowns:
  1. does it happen on systems with 3 or more monitors?
  2. does it happen on Intel or is it an Apple Silicon bug only?

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I raised a feedback ticket (FB12040070) for this very issue, still seeing it on the RC release (using saveforhollywoood).

A.

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Some progress on my ticket...... fingers crossed..

1680022175355.png

Reactions: XMI

XMI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Initial testing with 13.4 beta 1 (22F50271) looks like the bug is fixed. I wonder how long until 13.4 gets a public release?

We reported this bug initially to Apple in the 13.3 beta series March 1st, it's a shame they couldn't get it fixed in the 26 days before 13.3 was released officially.

Happy to see the fix seems to be coming for 13.4, but man, these sorts of software regressions really should not be happening for a Trillion dollar company...

Reactions: CNiles38006

0xB0BACAFE

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
Happy to see the fix seems to be coming for 13.4, but man, these sorts of software regressions really should not be happening for a Trillion dollar company...

I don't understand this logic by Apple either. I know Apple has always run lean, but their excuses for forcing some iOS UI behaviors onto macOS because of a lack of resources seems insincere. They are related interfaces, but their UIs have their own idiosyncrasies and they need to be respected; a mouse/trackpad is not a finger.

Ultimately, it feels like they've cut things too lean with their questionable yearly rollout schedule and their clear prioritization of other parts of the business. It looks like 13.3 did a fair amount of under the hood changes, but they weren't adequately tested.

I'm sure the internal numbers still look "good" and so, the Mac will suffer until this parade of bugs starts to affect the metrics that the execs are looking at.

XMI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
It looks like 13.3 did a fair amount of under the hood changes, but they weren't adequately tested.

Yep. Another major frustration is that the "Release Notes" typically include just a tiny portion of the actual changes, bug-fixes, and regressions that Apple has done.

For example, neither 13.3 nor 13.4 release notes make any mention about the screen saver libraries having changed, don't mention the regression bug, nor do they mention the bug fix.

I'm pretty sure the internal Apple Emoji group is paying off all the other groups to keep quiet about their bugs. (this is a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some ridiculous office politics going on with the Release Notes)

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Initial testing with 13.4 beta 1 (22F50271) looks like the bug is fixed. I wonder how long until 13.4 gets a public release?

We reported this bug initially to Apple in the 13.3 beta series March 1st, it's a shame they couldn't get it fixed in the 26 days before 13.3 was released officially.

I discovered this last night and wasted a few hours of my time exploring the bug (unfortunately before I found this thread) on two different Mac Studios, both with an Apple Display monitor and a 2nd monitor.

I've alway been a big Mac supporter, but I'm losing faith and confidence. Especially when I read that this bug was reported a month ago and Apple refused to fix it, causing lots on consternation and wasted time amongst Mac enthusiasts. I no longer trust Apple software. I blame this on Apple's insanity of producing software releases on a specific timetable instead of reasonable perfecting software before release. Shame on Apple and shame on Tim Cook for allowing this to happen!

I have to wonder who the incompetent software engineer was who took perfectly functioning screen saver functionality in Ventura 13.2 and demolished it in Ventura 13.3.

w3geek

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
Yep, I found this thread and one over on Apple's forums after 13.3 broke my screensaver setup with 2 external monitors. I know, first world problems, but still... I just want it to work like it did a couple of hours ago on 13.2

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
SMH, amazing how a basic feature like your screen saver working on your multi-displays can be broken in an update. I ran into this issue as soon as I updated to 13.3 today. Now we wait to see how long before they actually fix it.

tc46wine

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Just updated to 13.3 --- now screen saver works on ONLY secondary display --- NOT primary display. Major pain!

Reactions: Biffs

tc46wine

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
I discovered this last night and wasted a few hours of my time exploring the bug (unfortunately before I found this thread) on two different Mac Studios, both with an Apple Display monitor and a 2nd monitor.

I've alway been a big Mac supporter, but I'm losing faith and confidence. Especially when I read that this bug was reported a month ago and Apple refused to fix it, causing lots on consternation and wasted time amongst Mac enthusiasts. I no longer trust Apple software. I blame this on Apple's insanity of producing software releases on a specific timetable instead of reasonable perfecting software before release. Shame on Apple and shame on Tim Cook for allowing this to happen!

I have to wonder who the incompetent software engineer was who took perfectly functioning screen saver functionality in Ventura 13.2 and demolished it in Ventura 13.3.
Just updated to 13.3 --- now screen saver works on ONLY secondary display --- NOT primary display. Major pain!

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This happened to me after I updated to 13.3.1 (22E261). The secondary display shows the photos, the primary display just says "No Photos".

Also, sometimes when I access Screen Saver in System Settings, the [Options] button is greyed out. Sometimes this can be fixed by disconnecting the external display.

tempImageqPxSAv.png

Reactions: Biffs

XMI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Just tested, and Ventura 13.4 beta 3 does not fix the screensaver issues; to be clear: if you are only running 2 monitors, it seems to work most of the time. But I still see occasional failures (perhaps 5% of the launches) in which you end up with 1st monitor blank and the the contents of the 2nd monitor showing what should be on the first monitor.

Reportedly, using screensavers on 3+ monitors is still broken in 13.4 beta 3.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I'm running just two identical monitors (BenQ 27") on an M2Pro Mini, and I get about the same 5% (or less) success rate in getting the screensaver to work on both. Running Ventura 13.3.1(a).

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
I'm running 3 monitors on my Mac mini m1, with a wavelink hardware. Since 13.3 had a nice flip clock screensaver that now does not work, when I start it, all 3 screens are blank.

XMI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Sadly, we just tested today's 13.4 (22F62) and it's showing pretty much the same behavior as before:
* on a 2 monitor system, third-party screensavers work about 95% of the time.
* on a 3 (or more) monitor system, third-party screensavers fail 100% of the time.

Biffs

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
Cullercoats, NE30, UK
Sadly, we just tested today's 13.4 (22F62) and it's showing pretty much the same behavior as before:
* on a 2 monitor system, third-party screensavers work about 95% of the time.
* on a 3 (or more) monitor system, third-party screensavers fail 100% of the time.
Thing is, I'm not using a third-party screensaver. I'm using shifting tiles from the standard set, on a two monitor system, and it only works 5% of the time ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.