Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scharles78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
I recently switched from a single cable modem with an AirPort Extreme connected to it with another AirPort Extreme in the back of my condo to boost the signal there, I also have an AirPort Express that's connected to my stereo to AirPlay music. This set up wasn't cutting it. I called comcast to find out if I could add another modem and connect another AirPort Extreme to that, they said yes. So I did that and created two different SSID's however when moving from one area of the condo to another the switch from one network to the other wouldn't happen. There was just enough signal from one device that your device wouldn't switch over to the closer other wifi device even if you were standing over it. So I changed the name of the SSID of the two Extreme's so they were the same. This solved the hand-off issue. Now to the root of my question. Is there a way to adjust the setting of these devices to allow each AirPort Extreme to see and share the connection to the Airport Express for AirPlay? Currently if I'm playing music to the Airport Express from my iPhone and walk to another part of the condo I loose the connection and the music stops. All the devices are running the most recent update (7.6.8 or 7.7.8). Any input is appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.