Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
how do i put 2 apple ids on mac can they be used at the same time?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Depends what you mean by use at same time, only one can be primary ID logged in as on an account, you can add the other in internet accounts, for access to email/notes/contacts and such, and app store/music can sign in to whichever account is relevant.

But I think e.g. icloud drive will only work on the primary id. Will have to use seperate user accounts on system if want to access multiple at that level.

shark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
i wanted to have 2 ids at the top of system prefernces (2 icloud drive and photo library)

shark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
Yes, the only way to have primary icloud access for different apple id's is with completely seperate accounts on the computer.
i see, only one apple id per user, i guess i will just switch between users

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Is there a reason that icloud drive/photos are split between accounts and couldn't be in just one?

I use two apple id's so I have app store access to two countries, and different email addresses, but all my icloud/photos are only on one id.

shark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
I have my iCloud and photo library on my work ID but i have my personal id for my phone and want to still use features like handoff from my iPhone to my Mac, so i thought i could add 2 ids in settings

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I see, so you have two phones with different id's? yeah, the system wasn't really setup for that sort of scenerio.

shark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
I see, so you have two phones with different id's? yeah, the system wasn't really setup for that sort of scenerio.
yes, a work-issued XR and my personal 13 pro, hope apple includes iCloud drive and photo library for the secondary iCloud accounts in futre updates

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Tip: transfer everything to your private ID! It is likely that at some point in your life you won’t be working for that company anymore.
I'm guessing they're getting a large storage amount with the work id and saving paying for additional storage on the private one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.