Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi!

I just got an M2 Pro Mac Mini, and I'd like to connect 3 displays. One is connected to the HDMI port, and ideally I'd like to connect the other two to a single TB port via a hub (or a simple adapter that does just that, but I don think that exists). I have already found out that I need a TB hub, not a USB hub, to be able to use them as extended displays, as opposed to mirroring (MST).
But my question is, what prerequisites are there on the display side regarding connectors for this to work? Can I connect displays with HDMI ports or DP ports to the hub via USB-C (TB) to HDMI/DP adapters, or do the displays themselves need to have TB ports as well?

Thanks,
Timo

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Mini doesn't support three displays.

Maybe there's some way to do this with Display Link but it will probably suck.

If you want three displays, return the mini and get a studio.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Mini doesn't support three displays.

Maybe there's some way to do this with Display Link but it will probably suck.

If you want three displays, return the mini and get a studio.
The mini with the M2 Pro does. From Apple's website:

Simultaneously supports up to three displays:

• Up to three displays: Two displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI
  • Up to two displays: One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI
  • One display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI
To answer @Taipan -- the displays do not need to have Thunderbolt. Any display that meets the specifications above will work. You'll just need to either have a TB4 dock that has the proper ports on them or you'll need an appropriate adapter for each display.

You are correct in that you don't want to use a simple USB-C dock. Something like the CalDigit TS4 would be good for you. It's got 1 TB4 input and 2 TB4 outputs which can connect to your monitors with simple USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort adapters, or can connect directly to monitors that support USB-C inputs. This dock also has a DisplayPort port built in to it, so really you'll only need one adapter (or none if you've got a monitor that accepts a USB-C video input). I've got a TS4 connected to two Apple Studio Displays. Only need one cable to go from my 14" MBP to the dock to run both displays plus other peripherals.

Reactions: arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Mac mini M2 Pro does natively support three displays.
Simultaneously supports up to three displays: Two displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI
@Taipan, you said one display is connected via HDMI and you'd like the other two displays to be connected to a single Thunderbolt port. Fancy Thunderbolt docks aside, this adaptor can connect two independent 4K @60 displays via HDMI:

Also available with two DisplayPort outputs:

edit: @xraydoc beat me to it

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
To answer @Taipan -- the displays do not need to have Thunderbolt. Any display that meets the specifications above will work. You'll just need to either have a TB4 dock that has the proper ports on them or you'll need an appropriate adapter for each display.
Does it have to be TB4, or would TB3 work as well (saves a few bucks)?

@Taipan, you said one display is connected via HDMI and you'd like the other two displays to be connected to a single Thunderbolt port. Fancy Thunderbolt docks aside, this adaptor can connect two independent 4K @60 displays via HDMI:
Thanks for the tip, this does look good. Although at about 160€, it might make sense to buy a dock with more features for 250-300€ or so.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
OWC has an adapter:
https://www.owc.com/solutions/thunderbolt-dual-displayport-adapter

These adapters support DisplayPort 1.4 but to connect two displays, you need to make sure the displays are limited to HBR2 bandwidth otherwise the first display connected will connect at HBR3 link rate and the other display will be limited to HBR link rate.

4K60 displays are usually limited to HBR2 link rate.

The Apple Studio Display and Apple Pro Display XDR will connect at HBR2 link rate with DSC.

Some displays have a setting to switch from DisplayPort 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 which will force HBR2 link rate.

You can get older Thunderbolt to dual DisplayPort adapters that are limited to DisplayPort 1.2.

Or you can connect a DisplayPort 1.2 MST hub to limit the bandwidth.

A DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub can take a DSC input and decompress it for displays that don't support DSC but usually the decompression doesn't support 10bpc which is required for HDR. A DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub will usually use an HBR3 link rate. I suppose you could connect a 2 lane HBR3 MST hub such as what you would get from a USB-C dock like the CalDigit SOHO. HBR3 x2 is only 75% of HBR2 x4.

Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.