Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
How can I connect multiple HDMI monitors to my MacBook Pro retina 13 inch 2015 model? Can I connect two external and also use my internal monitor?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
How can I connect multiple HDMI monitors to my MacBook Pro retina 13 inch 2015 model? Can I connect two external and also use my internal monitor?

You have one HDMI port on the unit so an HDMI-HDMI cable will work for that. For the second monitor you need a mini-Display Port to HDMI cable/adapter. I use two external monitor on my rMBP 15 quite often with this setup.

You can use the internal display at the same time, but I find it difficult to switch focus from the small laptop display to the bigger external monitors.

Reactions: di1in

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
You have one HDMI port on the unit so an HDMI-HDMI cable will work for that. For the second monitor you need a mini-Display Port to HDMI cable/adapter. I use two external monitor on my rMBP 15 quite often with this setup.

You can use the internal display at the same time, but I find it difficult to switch focus from the small laptop display to the bigger external monitors.
Thank you so much. One more question: Can I use HDMI on one and a mini-display to VGA adapter on the other? (because I already have one of those lying around)

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thank you so much. One more question: Can I use HDMI on one and a mini-display to VGA adapter on the other? (because I already have one of those lying around)

If you have a vga connected screen then of course, if the screen only has HDMI inputs then no. Of course HDMI is more useful on lcd screens as vga is an analogue input.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Yes, but you will need the appropriate adapter/cable. I do a lot of presentations and you never know if the projectors are going to support VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc. As a result I carry a mini-display port adapter that supports all 3, since they often have the projector cable, but almost never a mini display port adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Version-Displayport-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B00UHLC24O
is the one I use, but there are a lot of other choices.

cottonr

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Hi all, Mac newbie here. I have 2 x Acer 22" screens with just a VGA port which I'm trying to connect to my MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2015. I have one that is connected via an adapter to mini display port and I've tried connecting the second one via a VGA to HDMI adapter to the HDMI port but the Mac just flickers continuously and mostly stays black screen, on the laptop and the monitors. I thought about getting a via to HDMI lead but I don't think that will work. Can I connect the other one via another adapter to the second thunderbolt 2 port? I don't want to mirror the displays but want them to work independently. Thanks in anticipation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.