Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
I was just wondering, would it work if there were multiple clients running on the same machine or does the F@H app use as much processor cycles as it can? (in one)

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Re: Multiple F@H Clients?

Originally posted by Jaykay
I was just wondering, would it work if there were multiple clients running on the same machine or does the F@H app use as much processor cycles as it can? (in one)

The Folding@home app uses every CPU cycle that isn't used by other apps. So yeah, it does use all the cycles it can already. Adding another F@H client wouldn't increase your output at all. Now, if you were to buy 10-20 Dual 1.42's and run F@H on those, that would increase your output *proceeds to drool and dream* :D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Multiple F@H Clients?

Originally posted by pepeleuepe
The Folding@home app uses every CPU cycle that isn't used by other apps. So yeah, it does use all the cycles it can already. Adding another F@H client wouldn't increase your output at all. Now, if you were to buy 10-20 Dual 1.42's and run F@H on those, that would increase your output *proceeds to drool and dream* :D

Only if you have a dual can you install mutiple clients on you machine. In which case you need to tell one processor to fold core __ and 2ed processor to fold core __

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Thanks for that. I have the the DP script running now so that should be good. Another one for the team eh?

Attachments

• picture 4.jpg
    picture 4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 309

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: Re: Re: Multiple F@H Clients?

Originally posted by MrMacman
Only if you have a dual can you install mutiple clients on you machine. In which case you need to tell one processor to fold core __ and 2ed processor to fold core __

What about hyper threading? Can you run 2 clients if you have hyper threading?

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I have my old SP Graphite running the dual script and it's working on two proteins. Still, I'm gonna have to switch it back to SP, as it's just too slow to justify splitting the cycles.

Dan

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by alset
I have my old SP Graphite running the dual script and it's working on two proteins. Still, I'm gonna have to switch it back to SP, as it's just too slow to justify splitting the cycles.

Dan

Why the hell are you gonna try to fake having 2 CPU's?

That is gonna slow your folding by so much... like 80% per each WU, which besides the fact that you should be only running SP script it is slowing your folding indefinitely.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
well I now have 3 processors running it...

my iMac at home while I'm not at work...and the DP 1GHz here at work... :D

should help out a bit... ;)

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Here's a question: can I have two clients folding the same protein? That way I can sudo renice each one to -20. This on a single processor machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.