Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
So...my birthday and Christmas are fairly close (not quite three months apart). I need to get a new MacBook, so I told my family and friends that I want Apple Store gift cards.

Aaand...I'm now sitting on TWENTY-ONE gift cards totalling a couple hundred dollars. Yep, twenty-one. Now...I've been to stores before with stacks of gift cards that they happily scanned (one store -- I think Best Buy -- simply took all of them and consolidated them into one gift card), but I'm a bit paranoid about Apple because I know they have some...weird practices...

Will I get a problem when I try to redeem these 21 gift cards?? Or does Apple want me to give them a PR nightmare instead? :)

gbears98

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Northern California
You should have no problem. I had 15 $100 amex gift cards and I took them in to apple store in Pleasanton CA and they consolidated them into one big apple gift card. And consolidated a few apple gift cards into one on another card. You should be able to consolidate your 21 gift cards into a smaller amount of gift cards in the store. You can always call the store and ask before you go in just in case.

Reactions: dauber

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I think you can only use a maximum of two gift cards per online purchase at Apple.

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
So...my birthday and Christmas are fairly close (not quite three months apart). I need to get a new MacBook, so I told my family and friends that I want Apple Store gift cards.

Aaand...I'm now sitting on TWENTY-ONE gift cards totalling a couple hundred dollars. Yep, twenty-one. Now...I've been to stores before with stacks of gift cards that they happily scanned (one store -- I think Best Buy -- simply took all of them and consolidated them into one gift card), but I'm a bit paranoid about Apple because I know they have some...weird practices...

Will I get a problem when I try to redeem these 21 gift cards?? Or does Apple want me to give them a PR nightmare instead? :)
Wow! PR nightmare? Really? Sad. Sounds like you want there to be a problem so you can get something at a huge discount or potentially for free. Why don't you just ask before making the purchase or read their policy: Apple.com/go/agc. Keep in mind that the policy is governed by the law from the Commonwealth of Va which is very pro business state

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
(Wow, I guess the smiley-face icon doesn't show up for everybody....some people don't get the joke. Must be a Mac discussion forum thing, as I've found over my eight years of having a Mac that people in these forums are just plain not amused; at another Mac forum I got a "demerit" and scolded by a moderator for using the word "darn" because they consider it a censored version of a swear.)

Aaaaanyhoo...when I get paranoid I look for answers fast; the Apple Stores were closed when I made my original post. I called the local one this morning. They told me as far as anyone currently on duty knows, there shouldn't be a problem, but if there is, a manager can help. I feel better.

Oh, and the policy doesn't mention any kind of limit.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The "cart" on Apple.com has a limit of eight (8) Apple Store gift cards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 10.44.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 10.44.13 AM.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,117

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Once again...this would be at a brick-and-mortar store, NOT online.

(And for the record, the Apple Store app only allows four.)

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Wow. So this morning I got TWO MORE Apple Store gift cards, thanks to Cardpool. (I had forgotten I had an order pending!) All in all, I had 24 -- yep, TWENTY-FOUR -- Apple Store gift cards.

I took 'em to the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago (yeah, the North Avenue store is closer to me by more than a mile, but I can't stand the neighborhood there...but that's neither here nor there). Two different red-shirted employees helped me and answered my questions to confirm that indeed the MacBook Pro w/Retina is what I wanted, and I told both the same thing: I had a huge stack (I think I said "s**tload", actually) of gift cards and asked if that'd be a problem. Without blinking, both said not a problem. (One said, "Most I ever did, I think, was 15. I don't think we have a limit, but if there is one, we might learn tonight!")

They happily took every single one of 'em, and I walked out with a new MacBook Pro with the balance financed for 0% for eighteen months. *sigh of relief*

Here I stand happy man. (And it looks like I made it once again.)

Reactions: LinusR and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Wow. So this morning I got TWO MORE Apple Store gift cards, thanks to Cardpool. (I had forgotten I had an order pending!) All in all, I had 24 -- yep, TWENTY-FOUR -- Apple Store gift cards.

I took 'em to the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago (yeah, the North Avenue store is closer to me by more than a mile, but I can't stand the neighborhood there...but that's neither here nor there). Two different red-shirted employees helped me and answered my questions to confirm that indeed the MacBook Pro w/Retina is what I wanted, and I told both the same thing: I had a huge stack (I think I said "s**tload", actually) of gift cards and asked if that'd be a problem. Without blinking, both said not a problem. (One said, "Most I ever did, I think, was 15. I don't think we have a limit, but if there is one, we might learn tonight!")

They happily took every single one of 'em, and I walked out with a new MacBook Pro with the balance financed for 0% for eighteen months. *sigh of relief*

Here I stand happy man. (And it looks like I made it once again.)

Awesome. Enjoy your new MBP. Thanks for letting us know. Here I was worried about the 3 Apple gift cards I've got lying around.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Definitely enjoying the new MBP...the size is still blowing my little mind...the size of the MBP is actually the same size as just the BOTTOM HALF of my old MacBook!

It was a real PITA transferring my MySQL databases over to the new machine, though...but that's the nature of MySQL.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I keep getting Apple gift cards as reward for my Barclays card. A coworker mentioned to me that they only allow using 8 gift cards at once in the store now. Can anyone confirm this? My local store never answers their direct phone line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.