Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
We are a family of 4 and currently have a single HomePod in a kitchen that we all share - the setup works OK for our needs. I plan to buy 2 mini's for my kids and wonder how to set them up? Should they be configured as part of the original home setup (under my iCloud ID) or should they be added as individual devices under their respective iCloud IDs? Any pros and cons to both setup? does anyone have any experience with multiple homepods and family setups?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I believe from a Homekit and Intercom perspective, a single master ID is likely to produce the best results. If you invite all family members to the "Home" (in HomeKit) and they all enable personal requests/recognize my voice, the kids should be able to play their own music on their Homepods just fine. In theory anyway.

Reactions: mlody and Five_Oh

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Thank you dotme for the response. Really appreciate it. Overall, I am surprised by the lack of feedback. This leaves me scratching my head how everyone else will attempt to configure multiple homepods. I wish Apple was better about informing users on how to set all this up or better provide some matrix that would outline the pros and cons for each type of a setup.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Thank you dotme for the response. Really appreciate it. Overall, I am surprised by the lack of feedback. This leaves me scratching my head how everyone else will attempt to configure multiple homepods. I wish Apple was better about informing users on how to set all this up or better provide some matrix that would outline the pros and cons for each type of a setup.
they used to be better but the YouTube folks are better now.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
In my house we have 4 HomePods, lounge, kitchen and in 2 of the kids bedrooms (teenager kids) and all the HomePods are set up under my personal Apple ID and then invited the rest of the family to HomeKit. Everything seems to work really well for us with this method.....although I must point out that we only really use Siri for lighting and music commands and not much else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.