Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ururoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Ok hold the jokes. We have 6 x 27" iMacs in the office, all running 10.12.5, models range from late 2013 to this year. All are on the same wifi network, but no direct file sharing between each Mac (all data shared via Dropbox), and each logged in user is unique (no same user names on different computers).

We have a problem with BT keyboards/mouse: person on Mac A will copy and paste something, and this will then appear in the document that person on Mac B is working on! At the same time BT mouses also have same issue; Mac A mouse will suddenly start controlling cursor on Mac B. Happens randomly and intermittently, across several of the Macs. Typically lasts for 2-3 minutes and then stops of its own accord.

Have tried all the obvious things such as deleting BT devices and re-pairing, NVRAM reset, First Aid etc. Starting to think that my computers are haunted...

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
With the copy on computer a and pasting it shows up on computer b issue, I wonder if it due to the universal clipboard feature?

https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/

Universal Clipboard
Copy on one device. Paste on another.
Copy images, video, or text from an app on your iPhone. Then paste into another app on your nearby Mac — or vice versa. There are no extra steps. Just copy and paste as you normally do. Find a great recipe while browsing on your Mac? Paste the ingredients right to the grocery list on your iPhone.

Is each computer user using a unique apple Id, or are all of the computers using one shared Apple ID?

Here is how to turn on/off handoff features:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25169?viewlocale=en_MK&locale=en_MK

Not sure why the keyboards/mouse/trackpads would wonder from computer to computer. I would go into Bluetooth preferences and ensure each device is only set up on one computer and wasn't accidentally remembered by multiple computers.

As a last resort, using lightning cables to "wire" each device to a computer then turning off the Bluetooth should work with keyboard/trackpad, but I don't think the Apple mouse will physically work wired as the charge port is on the bottom.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
When did the problem manifest? (i.e. what changed?) Did this only show up after upgrading to 10.12.5?

If it's new to 10.12.5, then you may have found a new bug...need to report it to Apple. (i.e., contact Apple Support) - then maybe roll back to 10.12.4 until they get it fixed.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Use a wired keyboard? Call me traditional, but wired keyboards generally 'just work', and you get a numeric keypad too.

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Had similar issues with older units a few years ago, we gave up and just put Logitech wireless kits WITH number pads on the 3 iMac's. we never could find a solution, it was as if they would randomly pair up with another receiver then move back or in many cases actually need manual pairing.

Ururoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Use a wired keyboard? Call me traditional, but wired keyboards generally 'just work', and you get a numeric keypad too.
Yes understand, but this just shouldn't be happening. Am going to try the above suggestion of turning off Handover and see what happens.
[doublepost=1496009643][/doublepost]
With the copy on computer a and pasting it shows up on computer b issue, I wonder if it due to the universal clipboard feature?

https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/

Universal Clipboard
Copy on one device. Paste on another.
Copy images, video, or text from an app on your iPhone. Then paste into another app on your nearby Mac — or vice versa. There are no extra steps. Just copy and paste as you normally do. Find a great recipe while browsing on your Mac? Paste the ingredients right to the grocery list on your iPhone.

Is each computer user using a unique apple Id, or are all of the computers using one shared Apple ID?

Here is how to turn on/off handoff features:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25169?viewlocale=en_MK&locale=en_MK

Not sure why the keyboards/mouse/trackpads would wonder from computer to computer. I would go into Bluetooth preferences and ensure each device is only set up on one computer and wasn't accidentally remembered by multiple computers.

As a last resort, using lightning cables to "wire" each device to a computer then turning off the Bluetooth should work with keyboard/trackpad, but I don't think the Apple mouse will physically work wired as the charge port is on the bottom.

Thanks going to try this one, seems like the most probable.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
That's a negative, not a positive in my book.

Each to their own, but how would a numeric keypad be a negative, especially in an office environment where the problem with wireless keyboards is occurring? It just seems logical - stop messing around with things that need batteries and just plug something in that works to you can get your job done instead of looking pretty.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Each to their own, but how would a numeric keypad be a negative, especially in an office environment where the problem with wireless keyboards is occurring? It just seems logical - stop messing around with things that need batteries and just plug something in that works to you can get your job done instead of looking pretty.
I used a wired keyboard. I don't have a problem with wired keyboards at all. I just don't like having a numeric keypad that puts my mouse further away and I rarely use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.