Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
How do I merge multiple photo libraries? iPhoto vs photo library, what’s the difference
768178C1-96EC-458A-9C8E-B122DC7D5E35.jpeg
? Why do I have multiple? Is there a good tool to deal with duplicates? Trying to clean up!

Deanna Z

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Columbus, OH
iPhoto is the old Apple photo management program, it was replaced by Photos in 2014-15. Normally, you would have one iPhoto and one Photos library, but you have multiple. Were some of these created inadvertently and are empty or duplicate? Check the relative sizes of the 6 Photos and 2 iPhoto libraries. If any of these are nil, delete them. Then open the smaller iPhoto library and check whether the photos contained in it are also there in the larger iPhoto library. If yes, delete the smaller one. If they are different, combine the two iPhoto libraries. Repeat with Photos libraries, starting with the smallest and comparing it with the Photos library that you normally use. Once you are left with only one iPhoto and one Photos library, you can migrate and merge the former into the latter. Do the duplicate identification and removal as the last step - there are apps for it.

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
iPhoto is the old Apple photo management program, it was replaced by Photos in 2014-15. Normally, you would have one iPhoto and one Photos library, but you have multiple. Were some of these created inadvertently and are empty or duplicate? Check the relative sizes of the 6 Photos and 2 iPhoto libraries. If any of these are nil, delete them. Then open the smaller iPhoto library and check whether the photos contained in it are also there in the larger iPhoto library. If yes, delete the smaller one. If they are different, combine the two iPhoto libraries. Repeat with Photos libraries, starting with the smallest and comparing it with the Photos library that you normally use. Once you are left with only one iPhoto and one Photos library, you can migrate and merge the former into the latter. Do the duplicate identification and removal as the last step - there are apps for it.
Thanks. I will try this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.