Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I recently purchased the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro and the Sony WH-1000XM4. I’m looking for a worthy replacement to my Airpods. I was tired of the depletion of battery life and volume in a short period of time, plus the inconsistencies in device switching. I wrongly assumed that all Bluetooth 5+ headphones supported multipoint (simultaneous connection and playback from two devices) but learned than only the Sony headphones supported it. I considered trying out the Sennheiser Momentum 3 over ears, as well, but heard that they can connect to more than one device but not support playback from multiple devices. Not sure if that’s true or not.

My question is why do none of the in ear wireless headphones support multipoint connection/playback? Is there a limitation due to the small size?

Also, have any of the features of Airpods 3 leaked? Given my frustration with how unreliable automatic switching has been, I’m wondering if multipoint is a possibility, if I’m willing to get over the inevitable battery life and volume issues.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
Check out the Jabra Elite 75T and 85T as they are well reviewed earbuds that support multi-point.

It has more to do with the manufacturers prioritizing the ability to use either earbuds individually over just being able to use one earbuds in solo mode and offering multi-point. Sony only supports multi-point on one pair of their headphones. Bose supports it on a few of their headphones. But very few support it on earbuds.

AirPods 3 will offer the same iCloud device syncing and auto-switching (or easy manually switching) as AirPods 2, AirPods Pro and AirPods Max.

Reactions: jazz1

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I have been using the Sony WH-1000XM4 for two days now. They're pretty good. Sounds quality is good but not blow away; I prefer Sennheiser's noise profile. Their connectivity is pretty good. Frankly, I think where I stand is that I don't want a big headset. I like the mobility of Airpods/in ears. I'll have to take a look at the Jabra's, or perhaps I'll buy a new pair of Airpods in September and just use cheap wired in ear earphones for work Zoom calls. So long as I always have those plugged in for work, I can use the AirPods exclusively on my iPhone and not be bothered with the issues of automatic switching.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I broke and bought a pair of AirPods Pro on Amazon for $189. I figured it didn’t make much sense for me to wait for Airpods 3 (non pro) in September and pay $159 when I could purchase the Pro model now for only $30. Hopefully the non Pro model doesn’t have any compelling features that make the mid cycle Pros less desirable.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Is multipoint connection similar to the quick switching like airpods Pro’s between apple devices?

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I think it's similar but different. I believe that multipoint connection means that it's always connected to multiple devices, so if you start playing audio on your phone and then start playing audio on your laptop, you don't need to switch between them to hear the audio - it's already connected and playing whatever new audio is playing.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I think it's similar but different. I believe that multipoint connection means that it's always connected to multiple devices, so if you start playing audio on your phone and then start playing audio on your laptop, you don't need to switch between them to hear the audio - it's already connected and playing whatever new audio is playing.
Will you hear both at the same time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.