Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
Ok

Maybe I am stupid.

On iOS 10 I could swipe from the right and then have some options for other programs to open or display. On iOS 11 this should be much and much better but HOW do I enable multitasking?

Multitasking setting is on in Settings but I can swipe for as much as I weigh, nothing happens...

I followed a few tutorials but it just doesn't work.

Anybody has an idea?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok

Maybe I am stupid.

On iOS 10 I could swipe from the right and then have some options for other programs to open or display. On iOS 11 this should be much and much better but HOW do I enable multitasking?

Multitasking setting is on in Settings but I can swipe for as much as I weigh, nothing happens...

I followed a few tutorials but it just doesn't work.

Anybody has an idea?
Open the first app then slide up from the bottom and drag the app from the dock you want to multi task with

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Honestly I’m not getting this at all.

The best I’ve achieved is a multi screen with settings notes mail etc with a nice music control screen right of screen.

I thought from wwc I could use I notes whilst typing and add a music or video to iCloud notes etc.

Is there 2 examples apps apps with step by step guide for multitasking.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Thanks! That did the trick!

In my earlier multitasking effort, I’ve managed accidentally to have a Mail bar right of screen.

I thought at wwdc there was a demo where ios11 users could maybe write a note and add music or video to the note.

There was much more than that though an impressive safari multitasking demo though cant mind the details.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Honestly I’m not getting this at all.
The best I’ve achieved is a multi screen with settings notes mail etc with a nice music control screen right of screen.
I thought from wwc I could use I notes whilst typing and add a music or video to iCloud notes etc.
Is there 2 examples apps apps with step by step guide for multitasking.

I would suggest reading this.

Reactions: Donfor39

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How do you multi-task with an app not in the dock? The previous method of moving one app icon over the other until it blinks is either not working in this beta or I'm invoking it wrong (could be - it was confusing at best).

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
How do you multi-task with an app not in the dock? The previous method of moving one app icon over the other until it blinks is either not working in this beta or I'm invoking it wrong (could be - it was confusing at best).
Exit the first app, open the second, the first is now in the dock, in the recent section. Drag from there. I can post a video if it helps

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Exit the first app, open the second, the first is now in the dock, in the recent section. Drag from there. I can post a video if it helps

That’s kind of the long way to get there. You should not have to do it from the dock strictly.

The moving two apps together should work for two apps that work with multitasking. Which at this time is so few and far between that it’s hard to find much success just playing with them.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That’s kind of the long way to get there. You should not have to do it from the dock strictly.

The moving two apps together should work for two apps that work with multitasking. Which at this time is so few and far between that it’s hard to find much success just playing with them.

I definitely can't seem to get it to work anymore, and I had it down pretty smooth in PB2. Can anyone get this to work in PB3? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I really hope Apple will address multitasking with apps that are not in your dock.

It is currently a complete disaster.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I dunno. It seems to work fine with a little practice.
I agree. It sounds complicate if you describe it, but, in practice, it's easy and fast enough.
And remember that the procedure I described is only for situations where BOTH apps are neither in the dock left side nor in the recents side on the right, which honestly is fairly rare.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Dragging two app icons on top of each other definitely doesn’t work for me anymore in PB3. It does still work to go to the home screen, grab the app icon you want, then invoke the multi-tasking gesture with the other hand, and place the 2nd app where you want it.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Dragging two app icons on top of each other definitely doesn’t work for me anymore in PB3. It does still work to go to the home screen, grab the app icon you want, then invoke the multi-tasking gesture with the other hand, and place the 2nd app where you want it.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Perhaps before people entered multitasking while trying to create a folder and vice verse?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

What does it do when you drag one icon over another (and are sure that both apps are capable of split view)?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Perhaps before people entered multitasking while trying to create a folder and vice verse?

Yeah, it was a very confusing way of using it because it was pretty much an identical action to creating a folder.

What does it do when you drag one icon over another (and are sure that both apps are capable of split view)?

100% certain the apps are capable because I can put them in split view using any of the other methods. When I grab an icon from the home screen and move it over an icon in the dock, the dock icon just scoots to the left of the right of my target and does nothing. If I drag it over another icon on the home screen it creates a folder same as if I hold the icon long enough to invoke the proper move/delete app action.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, it was a very confusing way of using it because it was pretty much an identical action to creating a folder.

100% certain the apps are capable because I can put them in split view using any of the other methods. When I grab an icon from the home screen and move it over an icon in the dock, the dock icon just scoots to the left of the right of my target and does nothing. If I drag it over another icon on the home screen it creates a folder same as if I hold the icon long enough to invoke the proper move/delete app action.

If you drag the first icon and tap the second icon the second app will open. Continue to drag the first app to the right and they’ll open in multitask mode.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

Ah I see. I may know what the problem is. Tapping and holding now does two things, depending on how long you hold.

- Short hold and drag: Multitasking mode
- Long hold and drag (long enough to engage "wiggle mode") is for re-arranging and creating folders.

If you hesitate less and start dragging as soon as the icon lifts I think it should work.

@IndianBird's suggestion above will work too but if you want to drag icon to icon directly make sure you didn't stay stationary long enough to enter wiggle mode.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I agree. It sounds complicate if you describe it, but, in practice, it's easy and fast enough.
And remember that the procedure I described is only for situations where BOTH apps are neither in the dock left side nor in the recents side on the right, which honestly is fairly rare.

Maybe I'm missing something and you can explain it so I understand better.

I'm in a full screen app. I want to open a 2nd app on the right. The 2nd app is not in my dock. What's the easy way to open it?

If step 1 is to go to the home screen, I'm afraid that's worthless. I might as well single-task at that point. The idea here is to be able to open a 2nd app without having to leave the first one.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

I'm in a full screen app. I want to open a 2nd app on the right. The 2nd app is not in my dock. What's the easy way to open it?

If step 1 is to go to the home screen, I'm afraid that's worthless. I might as well single-task at that point. The idea here is to be able to open a 2nd app without having to leave the first one.

If it’s a regular use app, just move it to the dock. It’ll hold like 13 apps now. My most used are in there and I’m finding that to be pretty easy way to go.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you drag the first icon and tap the second icon the second app will open. Continue to drag the first app to the right and they’ll open in multitask mode.

Ok, that works fine, although it’s kind of hard to discover! Did the drag one icon on top of the other and wait until the lower one flashes method go away?

Ah I see. I may know what the problem is. Tapping and holding now does two things, depending on how long you hold.

- Short hold and drag: Multitasking mode
- Long hold and drag (long enough to engage "wiggle mode") is for re-arranging and creating folders.

If you hesitate less and start dragging as soon as the icon lifts I think it should work.

@IndianBird's suggestion above will work too but if you want to drag icon to icon directly make sure you didn't stay stationary long enough to enter wiggle mode.

Yeah, I know the difference between those two modes, but couldn’t figure out how to open the two apps together once I entered that mode. The method suggested above works fine and is reasonably easy to remember.

It’s kind of the equivalent of opening the Applications folder on the Mac if your program isn’t in the dock. They need to extend it to working from Spotlight as well though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.