Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Does the Mini support all of the split screen multitasking features that larger iPad have?

Thanks

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
According to Apple the 5th (2019) and 6th (2021) generation iPads mini do. Earlier models don't support split view combined with slideover.

Reactions: kat.hayes

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I abandoned iPadOS as my main driver last year, but then picked up a mini 6 earlier this year. It was my first experience with iPadOS 15, and I have to be honest--I was wrong to be so pessimistic about multitasking. I feel like they fixed all the main things I've been griping about (lost pairings, multi-window issues, etc.). It came off as a little confusing to me at WWDC, but in every day practice, it was quite easy to pick up, and the best new features are far more discoverable than they have been in the past.

All that is to say I had planned on having the mini 6 as an e-reader, but it does come in handy as a multitasker sometimes too, and I do find the new OS features in that area to be FAR more useful than they have been in the past--so much so that I think even going back to iPadOS 14 would feel primitive in comparison.

Your mileage may vary though--I think the reason I'm having such an easy time with it is that I'm also a daily Mac user and the new multitasking stuff in iPadOS 15 is very Mac-ish in a lot of ways.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I personally like it too. That’s not to say there’s room for improvement such as more floating windows support.
and the home screen needs an overhaul with customised app and wideget placement because it looks like crap now.

I think Apple needs to make some some big improvements to iPadOS 16 to keep up with Samsung / One UI which has been making Much greater advances over the last few years

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I personally like it too. That’s not to say there’s room for improvement such as more floating windows support.
and the home screen needs an overhaul with customised app and wideget placement because it looks like crap now.

I think Apple needs to make some some big improvements to iPadOS 16 to keep up with Samsung / One UI which has been making Much greater advances over the last few years
I think that's Universal Control and SideCar for now, but I have to wonder what the end game REALLY is for iPad-as-a-computer, at least the models with USB-C/Thunderbolt. There's no way they've been adding in all this connectivity just for the sake of faster file transfers. I feel like we're just watching them lay groundwork right now.

But I've felt like that before with iPad, and then found out later that I had it all wrong. For example, the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro in 2020 was probably built with the knowledge that Universal Control was right around the corner. The real answer is often a lot simpler than what I thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.