Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I'm wondering if there is a music app with functional landscape mode. I'm taking about the landscape mode that you get in the stock Music app when you press the button in the top right corner with three horizontal lines and rotate a phone horizontally.

I think it's the only case where you don't get the coverflow view. iPhone 6 has a pretty larger screen and should show plenty of info when rotated horizontally, but the coverflow view makes the landscape mode useless.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
+1 - The landscape "coverflow" view in the iPhone's Music App is completely useless. Do users really browse thru their music by album cover? Is this a real use case?

My iPhone 6 (not Plus) has plenty of room to support a list view like the Mail app does in landscape mode, and could probably display a "list & cover" view like the iPad's Music app does in landscape mode.

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Groove is a pretty good music player that appears to work in Landscape mode pretty well.

It also creates playlists based on your music library. Kinda cool for something different.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I mount my 6+ in my car in landscape mode (for obvious reasons) and it bugs me that the UI of the music app in landscape mode is limited to just album coverflow as I listen to music by playlist and genre sometimes.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I mount my 6+ in my car in landscape mode (for obvious reasons) and it bugs me that the UI of the music app in landscape mode is limited to just album coverflow as I listen to music by playlist and genre sometimes.

THIS.
It really sucks in the car. :(

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Groove is a pretty good music player that appears to work in Landscape mode pretty well.

It also creates playlists based on your music library. Kinda cool for something different.

Groove SUCKS. Only having a now playing support in landscape is worthless. Not to mention the app hasn't seen an update in forever and the devs never respond to my emails. The only thing you can do in landscape mode is hit play and pause

----------

Check out Cesium on the App Store, version 2 will have list view in Landcsape mode. It has been submitted to the App Store and will drop any day soon.

It's half price at the moment as well. 99c or 79p.

http://xyo.net/iphone-app/cesium-your-music-streamlined-clean-beautiful--96gf_JY/?country=GB

EDIT :-
In fact The dev has just tweeted that V2 is now on the App Store.

I just wasted $1.99 on that app... all it does is show a CS logo and then crashes to home screen.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Groove SUCKS. Only having a now playing support in landscape is worthless. Not to mention the app hasn't seen an update in forever and the devs never respond to my emails. The only thing you can do in landscape mode is hit play and pause

----------

I just wasted $1.99 on that app... all it does is show a CS logo and then crashes to home screen.

Itunes > purchase history > report a problem > Refund > not what I expected.

I get refunds all the time on crappy apps. Apple honors returns.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Check out LeechTunes. Beautiful music player with functional landscape mode, gesture based navigation, option to disable auto-lock, etc.

crookadile

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2013
Rotherham South Yorkshire UK

----------

Works perfectly on mine. Maybe it's your phone playing up.
Try uninstalling and installing again. Try rebooting your phone. Definitely a problem with the phone and not the app. I've used it since day 1 and never had a crash.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I keep wanting Cesium to be good, but even latest version is slow and laggy on an iPhone 6 using iTunes Match with about 18000 songs in the cloud.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK

THIS.
It really sucks in the car. :(

Can I recommend CarTunes to you guys? I have my iPhone 6 mounted in my car too, and have been using this app for music since my iPhone 5. Works in landscape too.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Works perfectly on mine. Maybe it's your phone playing up.
Try uninstalling and installing again. Try rebooting your phone. Definitely a problem with the phone and not the app. I've used it since day 1 and never had a crash.

Did all that. Still hangs on start up then crashes.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Should show a normal list in landscape mode, but a waveform on the "now playing". That'd be sweet. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.