Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
Are you able to sort albums by artist then by date in the music app?

That’s the standard way albums are usually organised under each artist, not alphabetically like the app seems to. Don’t think it could be done in iPadOS 15. I heard 16 brought some music app changes, are you now able to do it?

I remember it was easy to do back in the classic iOS days (6 and under).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does the top-right button do what you want?

Never mind, you’re talking about in Album view.

IMG_0158.png

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
Does the top-right button do what you want?

Never mind, you’re talking about in Album view.
Yes, in Album view I’d like them ordered by Artist, then by Year. The only ‘Sort’ drop down options are - Title, Recently Added, Artist (then alphabetically).

So I guess it can’t be done? I find it extremely odd that Apple wouldn’t allow sorting them in a normal way.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, in Album view I’d like them ordered by Artist, then by Year. The only ‘Sort’ drop down options are - Title, Recently Added, Artist (then alphabetically).

So I guess it can’t be done? I find it extremely odd that Apple wouldn’t allow sorting them in a normal way.
What’s interesting is that even alternate Music players like Soor don’t have this dual filtering option.

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
What’s interesting is that even alternate Music players like Soor don’t have this dual filtering option.
If I remember correctly back in the day just filtering by Artist would automatically make it filter by Artist & Year, you wouldn’t have to two layers of filtering per say.

After a bit of searching iOS 16 brought filtering by Year (or as they call it by Release Date) to Playlists in the Music App, no mention on whether they brought it to Album view. I’m not on 16 so I don’t know.

apple-music-sorting.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.