Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaveroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
I have an iPhone 6S 64GB running 9.3.3 and my music keeps disappearing - all of a sudden I'll go to listen to something and it all of my 3000+ songs synced from iTunes (not Apple Match, not Apple Music, synced local files like MP3s, AACs, a few AIFFs, etc.) just go out to lunch. This has happened three times now.

The first time, the music disappeared from the Music app but it still took up space on the phone. I could not fix it just by syncing with iTunes (using version 12.3.3.17) on my Windows 10 PC; I had to back up the phone, restore it, and only then was the space freed up for me to sync it again. It's more like it just delisted it (I did not try using any file managers to see if anything was still there, I only assume it was).

The second time, they appeared to be gone from the phone totally because the space was freed up. All it took was a sync, and all the songs were copied back to the phone and it was fine. This was a few weeks ago.

Just today, the same thing happened... except this time in the middle of a song. I was listening to a song when all of a sudden the music stopped. I figured I'd probably accidentally paused it, but I looked down at my phone to see my lock screen without any cover art or anything. I saw music controls, but they didn't look like anything had been playing if that makes any sense. I opened the music app to see that everything was gone. I was using the default music app at the time but had Onkyo HF Player installed - I tried that, and it was empty as well. I would expect that maybe an unfinished or bad sync would cause this but every single time this happened in the afternoon and I had listened to music in the morning just fine.

This is kind of ridiculous... we're talking nearly 17GB of songs just screwing off multiple times, once literally in the middle of playback. Does anybody have any idea on why this may be happening? Any explanations as to why or any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.