Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Music Magpie - Be Careful If You Trade In Your iPhone

Firstly, I know others have had good experiences using Music Magpie for iPhone trade-ins, to be fair they generally do have a good reputation, but I have personally been well a truly done over by them and am now out of pocket by a huge amount of money and mine is a story of what happens on the occasions things go very wrong and how Music Magpie handle it.

I had an offer price of £700 for my iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB phone.

I sent them an immaculate iPhone 13 Pro Max, I mean absolute mint condition, almost as perfect as the day I bought it from Apple. High-quality Torras full coverage screen protector installed on the day I purchased it, always in a shockproof case, I even had a camera lens protector installed as I am so OCD about my tech. Never dropped and never mishandled, literally no scratches on the stainless steel case, at worst some "micro Scratches" but even they were minimal. I am the type of person that only has my iPhone in my trouser pocket, never putting keys or loose change in the same pocket as my phone. If I received my iPhone as refurbished I would have been made up - hell it still had 100% battery health.

I sent it so well packaged - in the original Apple retail box which I taped shut, that was wrapped in bubble wrap and taped, then placed in a box and parcel taped within an inch of its life. Before despatch, I closely inspected the whole phone and wiped it down with a new lint-free cloth so it was spotless. There was absolutely zero damage to the screen, not one scratch, and absolutely no chips as good as the day it rolled off the Apple assembly line.

After a rather suspicious long delay between the delivered status and being scanned at the warehouse, it was assessed and they came back and reported the screen edge was chipped, scratches on the screen, and a crack. Offer reduced from £700 to £143 as they deem the damage that bad. When challenged they have shown me photographic evidence and I can swear that the screen they showed was not the screen that was on my phone. My screen had zero scratches due to the screen protector and absolutely no chips - I closely inspected it at the point of despatch and polished it with a lint-free cloth. I reiterate that it was the definition of mint condition. Further, it was so well-packaged that I cannot see how it could have been damaged in transit.

My warning to others is you have zero recourse and no consumer protection as they claim that's the phone they received (possibly it is but something amiss has happened in the meantime). They will not even consider that something has happened either in transit or at their warehouse and you are left with no option but to accept or reject their offer. I now will receive back a damaged iPhone that I swear has either a different screen on that is not mine or, more likely, has been dropped when unpackaged and then just pushed on through the assessment pipeline. The resale value is now hugely impacted, this is not the phone I sent them, and I am out of pocket by a huge amount. They will not entertain any liability and just say that's the phone I sent - the IMEI number matches on their photos but the state of the screen is a complete contrast to what I sent them.

I appreciate that I foolishly did not take photos/video of the phone before despatch as I would if selling on eBay, but I trusted their reputation. At least with eBay if a buyer challenged the condition of the sold phone they received you could give Ebay that evidence and they may take your side but with Music Magpie they will just shut you down and you are left high and dry. They adopt a take it or leave it stance.

One interesting development is through personal contacts I am now going to discuss what has happened to me with the Consumer Section Editor of a national newspaper. Their interest in this story is from a consumer protection angle - they recognise there is little to no consumer protection when using these online trade-in companies and want real-life examples to back up a piece they are considering writing.

So, it's a cautionary tale of how things can go bad and you are powerless to challenge Music Magpie.

Last edited:

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
"After a rather suspicious long delay between the delivered status and being scanned at at the warehouse,..."

It seems your precious was intercepted after it's delivery, replaced with the damaged phone by a random employee and sent on to the warehouse. You have no images of your phone or its packaging. Looks like you dropped the ball here.
Trust no one.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Music Magpie - Be Careful If You Trade In Your iPhone

Firstly, I know others have had good experiences using Music Magpie for iPhone trade-ins, to be fair they generally do have a good reputation, but I have personally been well a truly done over by them and am now out of pocket by a huge amount of money and mine is a story of what happens on the occasions things go very wrong and how Music Magpie handle it.

I had an offer price of £700 for my iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB phone.

I sent them an immaculate iPhone 13 Pro Max, I mean absolute mint condition, almost as perfect as the day I bought it from Apple. High-quality Torras full coverage screen protector installed on the day I purchased it, always in a shockproof case, I even had a camera lens protector installed as I am so OCD about my tech. Never dropped and never mishandled, literally no scratches on the stainless steel case, at worst some "micro Scratches" but even they were minimal. I am the type of person that only has my iPhone in my trouser pocket, never putting keys or loose change in the same pocket as my phone. If I received my iPhone as refurbished I would have been made up - hell it still had 100% battery health.

I sent it so well packaged - in the original Apple retail box which I taped shut, that was wrapped in bubble wrap and taped, then placed in a box and parcel taped within an inch of its life. Before despatch, I closely inspected the whole phone and wiped it down with a new lint-free cloth so it was spotless. There was absolutely zero damage to the screen, not one scratch, and absolutely no chips as good as the day it rolled off the Apple assembly line.

After a rather suspicious long delay between the delivered status and being scanned at the warehouse, it was assessed and they came back and reported the screen edge was chipped, scratches on the screen, and a crack. Offer reduced from £700 to £143 as they deem the damage that bad. When challenged they have shown me photographic evidence and I can swear that the screen they showed was not the screen that was on my phone. My screen had zero scratches due to the screen protector and absolutely no chips - I closely inspected it at the point of despatch and polished it with a lint-free cloth. I reiterate that it was the definition of mint condition. Further, it was so well-packaged that I cannot see how it could have been damaged in transit.

My warning to others is you have zero recourse and no consumer protection as they claim that's the phone they received (possibly it is but something amiss has happened in the meantime). They will not even consider that something has happened either in transit or at their warehouse and you are left with no option but to accept or reject their offer. I now will receive back a damaged iPhone that I swear has either a different screen on that is not mine or, more likely, has been dropped when unpackaged and then just pushed on through the assessment pipeline. The resale value is now hugely impacted, this is not the phone I sent them, and I am out of pocket by a huge amount. They will not entertain any liability and just say that's the phone I sent - the IMEI number matches on their photos but the state of the screen is a complete contrast to what I sent them.

I appreciate that I foolishly did not take photos/video of the phone before despatch as I would if selling on eBay, but I trusted their reputation. At least with eBay if a buyer challenged the condition of the sold phone they received you could give Ebay that evidence and they may take your side but with Music Magpie they will just shut you down and you are left high and dry. They adopt a take it or leave it stance.

One interesting development is through personal contacts I am now going to discuss what has happened to me with the Consumer Section Editor of a national newspaper. Their interest in this story is from a consumer protection angle - they recognise there is little to no consumer protection when using these online trade-in companies and want real-life examples to back up a piece they are considering writing.

So, it's a cautionary tale of how things can go bad and you are powerless to challenge Music Magpie.
Yeah. They probably dropped it while inspecting it. That’s why I never mail in a device. I’m at their mercy.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
"After a rather suspicious long delay between the delivered status and being scanned at at the warehouse,..."

It seems your precious was intercepted after it's delivery, replaced with the damaged phone by a random employee and sent on to the warehouse. You have no images of your phone or its packaging. Looks like you dropped the ball here.
Trust no one.
Given their total denial of any responsibility, I honestly think they would refute any photo or video evidence of it you had. It's a Take it or leave it position and our word is final. My hunch is someone dropped it when it was unpackaged and, let's face it, a staffer is not going to hold their hand up and say "look what I just did".

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Given their total denial of any responsibility, I honestly think they would refute any photo or video evidence of it you had. It's a Take it or leave it position and our word is final. My hunch is someone dropped it when it was unpackaged and, let's face it, a staffer is not going to hold their hand up and say "look what I just did".
Aweful experience. I am due to post my 11 Pro Max. Will package it extra cautiously and also take a video of it being packaged.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Aweful experience. I am due to post my 11 Pro Max. Will package it extra cautiously and also take a video of it being packaged.
Do, I would ensure that the phone's Serial Number and IMEI number are visible on the screen and comprehensively video the condition of the phone, and include close-up photos of edges etc. To be honest I reckon they would still not accept that as proof of the condition of the phone but for your peace of mind it's likely a good move.

Last edited:

Jackorias

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2013
Yorkshire
As I mentioned in the UK order thread, I also had a bad experience with Music Magpie, but for a MacBook Air.

They were adamant that I had sent an i3 model instead of the i5 model, which I obviously hadn't done. Provided all info incl. receipts, Apple account screenshots and messages from Apple's chat. This still wasn't good enough and I had to threaten legal action before they would physically check the laptop and confirm that I had in fact sent an i5 model. Absolutely useless.

• Wow
Reactions: Populus and Theozz

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
If you check review sites whilst I acknowledge there are plenty of positive reviews if you filter to the negative ones it's surprising how many people have had similar experiences. Music Magpie has no culpability whatsoever and it's all on you, the sender.

Learning from this I will never use any online trade-in company where you have to send your goods in as there is zero consumer protection and that will be the angle of a possible future newspaper article. Further, I have found Music Magpie to be completely disingenuous with no real quality customer service. A really hard lesson learned.

BraXzy

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
Horrible that this happened but appreciate you sharing! I was originally planning on using a banked trade in offer from a week or so back with them but after reading your post yesterday I looked elsewhere and got a better offer from ReBuy. Just hoping they are more genuine...

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Horrible that this happened but appreciate you sharing! I was originally planning on using a banked trade in offer from a week or so back with them but after reading your post yesterday I looked elsewhere and got a better offer from ReBuy. Just hoping they are more genuine...
I think ReBuy has a more robust method of collecting your goods.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Talking this afternoon with this journalist I have been connected with they have cast an interesting perspective on the whole Music Magpie business model.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Yeah I have gone with rebuy to collect my iPhone 13 Pro will take pictures of the phone from all angles and video the delivery driver packing the phone up. I will avoid music magpie at all costs.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Talking this afternoon with this journalist I have been connected with they have cast an interesting perspective on the whole Music Magpie business model.
Would be interesting to hear the journalists point of view on the matter.

Random_Matt

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2022
Always take images etc before sending. WeBuyAnyPhone is my go to place or the overclockers marketplace.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Make a claim with the delivery company, they are insured and should refund you the value originally quoted, took me a few months back and fourth but I got my refund when I had same issue

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Curious that a company as large as Music Magpie have no presence on Twitter.

Last edited:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Make a claim with the delivery company, they are insured and should refund you the value originally quoted, took me a few months back and fourth but I got my refund when I had same issue
As they arrange carrier it's their call and they flatly refused to even entertain that. Their Agent said it wasn't damaged in transit although when I challenged them on how they could categorically know that they offered no proof.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
As they arrange carrier it's their call and they flatly refused to even entertain that. Their Agent said it wasn't damaged in transit although when I challenged them on how they could categorically know that they offered no proof.

Royal Mail refused for me, it took a lot fo pestering, but MM refused to accept fault, I had photo as evidence that I used correct packaging as advised - I TODL them MM is refusing to help and the phone was damage between you sending and them receiving - they have insurance on these things, don’t let them fob you off, it took months of calls for me, but they eventually gave in and paid out.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
That is why apple trade in is the best. Yes maybe less but long run avoid headaches/stress.

I've seen posts on here who've had similar experiences with the trade in partner that Apple uses...Its unfortunate but it does happen. I've never had any issues but there have been a lot of people who have not had a great experience with them.

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
I sold a phone to one of these trade in companies years ago, exact same story with the device being mint condition and beyond securely packed. The company said screen was cracked, I asked for evidence and could tell it weren’t my phone. Asked them to send the device back, which when I opened it was still in perfect condition. Very strange scenario. :/

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I think the problem is it's a pretty unregulated sector and, as far as I can tell, there's no voluntary trade body that has a code of conduct. Basically, it's "Seller Beware" - the power is completely with the company you are trading-in with. At least with a high street trade-in, such as CEX, you are physically there when they asses / inspect your item.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just trade in to Apple, in US you get back tax too on the trade-in.

Apple in the UK offer a really poor deal on trade ins in the UK though. I know it’s more of a hassle but I’ve always sold my iPhones on Facebook marketplace as you can get the price you want and deal face to face with cash. The trade in companies just take the mick.

Music Magpie is one I’ve heard awful things about. Every year we hear about them damaging phones and trying to knock extra money off.

Reactions: Fred Zed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.