Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yeah i was wondering why fruity loops will never go to the mac....any word on this?

i gues i will have to give propellerhead a try...or groove maker...im assuming that i can get some freeware on these.

nonreflectiveobject

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2001
hmmm...

Freeware in general is usually equipped with a steep learning curve, or is extraordinarily limited. In terms of music making, do you wish to be creating loop-based music? How 'hands-off' do you want it to be? Pro Tools (also in the freeware version) is mainly dedicated to pristine audio recordings, not midi sequencing. There are some freeware apps you should not be without, however. Download Soundhack. I believe versions exist on cnet.download.com or versiontracker.com. Download Csound. Csound will be bewildering to you at first, then you will recognize its power. It's programming, though. As for applications, check out Live. It's a sequencer that is designed to be used by a live performer. Sounds like it's up your alley. Not free, but the stuff you're talking about isn't (unless it's obtained in the deceitful manner). None of the software discussed in this forum has been freeware. Sucks, but it's true. Look through download.com and versiontracker. Some quality items exist in the rivers of crap. As for sequencers, Logic is my preference, but Cubase isn't bad. Digital Performer has limitations that become apparent quickly (like the lack of VST support). You're going to find that the image of a powerbook-toting freeware denizen is entirely false. It's a difficult habit (one that consumes quite a bit of my waking life). Also, just in general. Treat the process of making music with computers with respect. Many folks make crap with Reason presets, and alot of them are getting attention. Many of us also work really hard on what we do. Some of us take it seriously. I welcome you to the world of music-making, but I ask that you take it seriously also. Anyway, enough preaching.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
welcome to the boards nonreflectiveobject.
thanks for your advice and your concern. let me just say that i am very serious about creating music..just as i am as serious about my art...as i am an artist. this is why i am searching for the perfect music software for me. for one i dont mind spending some money on software that im looking for on the other hand i dont want to spend money on crappy software that i wont like and use. i prefer trying the software out before i buy it if i do buy it...and if it is in freeware i would use that first...if i like it ...ill buy the full version...if i dont....im not loosing any money.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay ive done some searching ....and i found out that Propellerheads reason is the software for me....

anybody got a copy of it that they want to give me???

since it is not illegal to give away copies but it is illegal to sell umm!!!

i believe.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm the one with the truth!

Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Firsty, gocyrus, for someone who was not going to give any BS you sure did write out a lot of BS... why not just write out every well known commercial release and a few others to go along with it...

Hey madamandamandam... gocyrus couln't say it better. If you are such smart ass why don't you tell the kid this before anything?

krossfyter:
1. Do you want to work with midi or just audio?
2. Do you know anything about midi or digital audio?

If you want free software go to tracker-tracker.com and you can download (you will have to spend some time) any software avalible.

If you do not know anything about audio editing and you do not have any body close to asist you do not bother in getting Protools or Digital Performer or any other.

Get Groovemaker for now until you get the teaste. You can try using Sound Edit16, it is a very simple, light and old program that runs on clasic but you will have a lot of fun with it even using the Groovemaker loops. Then you can jump to ProTools or other audio editor.

For midi, you will need a midi keyboard and a midi interface at list (and some kwnoledge of music please).

Get Sound Edit16, because programs like Groovemaker are sampler players only and you wont be able to EQ, pan, or add any effect to it. The very Good thing about Groovemaker is that comes with a bunch of loops in .wav format (very heavy to download by the way), and you will have your first sound library to work with.

But ger the Sound Edit 16 first, if you can do wonders with it you can go on with the others.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
nah i want to do it all in the computer..... you can do this with propellerheads reason...right? i know you cant do it with digidesign and protools so thats why im not going there.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
RE: mymemory

Hey, why not get your head out of gocyrus' arse and read the thread instead of asking questions already answered and explaining software that has already been explained AFTER he has chosen the software he wants to use.

Jesus, what a wanker!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
the reason i make music

good choice with reason. id share with you if i had a fast connection (but please support good app developers and buy it if you can afford it; it lets everyone make music for less $).

i use it everyday. i have a solo project (neusound, with one local cd release) and a group project (organech, with one local demo and one full length album) that i use reason with.

it can be played live or used in a studio setting. when you start to expand, it expands easily into cubase or nuendo for midi control and recording. external midi devices (ie. keyboards, controlers, drum pads, switches, etc) can easily control reason and give you more hands on tweaking and playability.

it has the abilty to create music with loops players (rex), samplers (wav, aiff), drum machines (wav, aiff), and synths (low-to-high range synth quality). and all these can be routed through fx units (chorus/flange, phaser, delay, reverb, 2-band eq, distortion, and compressors). you can create as many of these units as your computer can handle.everything is real-time and emulates the real hardware (you can even re-route the cables coming out the back of each unit).

reason was put together for "techno" style music, but this software was used hevily by NIN's Charlie Clouser to make excellent music for NIN and others(can also be heard in the Gorilla's album and remixes). It can be used in conjunction with re-birth to take advatage of the well emulated 303, 808, and 909 (used by Clint Mansell to make most of the loops for the movie Requiem for a Dream).

if your familiar with re-birth, like you stateted, you'll quickly fall in love with reason. look out for my upcoming web sites (homepage.mac.com/organech and homepage.mac.com/neusound) for music made with reason, re-birth and a live band.

good luck krossfyter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.