Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
My greatest annoyance is fixed in Music 1.1.0.129: album art and intelligent sorting by Artist/Year in list view is back!

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 12.59.16.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 12.59.16.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 373

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
It might be worth trying for some of y'all. I have about 500GB in iCloud and store all of it local on 2 machines. It could be laggy when scrolling the recently added which is what I usually use. I cleaned up the genres from about 160 to around 20 and it actually seems to have less lag. I have no idea if its a placebo or not but I think it helped.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
After a day the album artwork is starting to trickle in. Still don't have artist artwork, but maybe that will come later. I'll just let it run for a while.

So here is the final resolution to this issue.

If I right click on an album cover and select "clear downloaded artwork", nothing happens immediately but when I quit Music and restart the album cover reappears. Must have been a glitch in the downloaded artwork configuration files.

It has to be done for each album, but fortunately they can be selected in batches and all done at once.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Desperaty

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
Has anyone tried to transfer a backup of apple music from one PC to another? So from Imac to a Macbook. Which folders need to be backed up. With me the last downloads were gone. Various covers were also no longer available and so on. I had copied the iTunes folder and the Apple Music folder. I think I forgot something. Can someone help please.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm currently in the process of re-rating my library and re-sorting in playlists - been working on it for a few months. With iTunes under Mojave this wasn't an issue, but I find I have to quit and relaunch Music every so often for things like double clicking no longer playing songs or now sometimes the star-rating area when you hover over a song stops showing up (I can still use the menu command though). These are so many tiny issues and never existed before.

• Wow
Reactions: B/D

the3ye

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
Is this view possible in Music? iTunes can show multiple CD albums in two columns, yet Music has this long list that I have to scroll endlessly.

Attachments

• music.jpg
    music.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 163

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Is this view possible in Music? iTunes can show multiple CD albums in two columns, yet Music has this long list that I have to scroll endlessly.
No, this is not currently possible in the music.app. It is another example of the application not being properly optimize for larger displays.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I'm currently on Mojave which is D-1 release of the support cycle for my machine but I wonder have they fixed this travesty of a design in Music after burying iTunes?

itunes-stupid.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Burningtime

Zach Jackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2017
Haven't gone through every page, but (so far) don't think I have seen anything about this issue:

When I double click a playlist, Music selects and plays some random audio file that is NOT actually on that playlist!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Oh, and how about that? Has it been fixed in Catalina?

"tail pulled out - head bogged down"

nice-design.jpeg

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
1.0.6.10 Seems to have less scrolling lag on my Quad i7 but there is still some. Sad this is the final version of Music that many perfectly good computers are going to get.

mlgfx

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Haven't gone through every page, but (so far) don't think I have seen anything about this issue:

When I double click a playlist, Music selects and plays some random audio file that is NOT actually on that playlist!
This is fixed in the latest macOS Update

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Still some glitches, some annoying. When I buy an album, the playlist of the album is duplicated, all songs twice. One is local an other is with the cloud symbol, I have to delete those little clouds. This does not change anything, I can hear the musics everywhere. Maybe will be corrected in .6 update, however, I am downgrading to Mojave, I'm done with Catalina, at list I will be able to play my games again, and make use of those old but still useful 32 bit apps.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I thought I imported iTunes into Music properly. I haven't been using it a lot, probably because I had the feeling I'd get a headache. Now every time I search for a song and click play the item can't be found, even though it's in the "playlist." I search the database, find it and click use the location for further searches. Then I play selected item, and Music crashes. I relaunch Music and it plays the item. But this happens over and over and over and over again. Clues people? I put this on an external SSD inside a Sonnet Flex J3i.

Apologies if this subject as been covered already.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Do shared playlists work at all in the Music app? I have a Mini running Mojave and iTunes that I use as a media server with Home Sharing. I can access all my playlists on two Apple TV's and two old Macs in iTunes under Sierra. On my new Mini with Catalina, I can access all the music on the server and it shows my playlists. But when I choose a playlist, it is blank (although it shows the total number of songs at the top). If I switch the playlist view to songs, it is still blank. If I switch the view to albums, the Music app crashes.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I must be doing something wrong here.

Just to walk thru a typical scenario using the Music app.

1. I'll shuffle songs within a playlist I created. The playlist has the album (artwork/cover) view selected.

Every once in a while, I want to hear a specific song as the Music app shuffles thru all songs in the playlist.

2. So I search an album within the playlist, click to enter the album and select a song to play.

3. Music app plays the song and then starts to only shuffle thru songs within that album even when I have exited out of that album and are currently looking at all the albums (album art) within the playlist.

When using the album art view for a playlist, is there anyway I can have the Music app always shuffle every song/album within the playlist?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I just couldn't find it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I must be doing something wrong here.

Just to walk thru a typical scenario using the Music app.

1. I'll shuffle songs within a playlist I created. The playlist has the album (artwork/cover) view selected.

Every once in a while, I want to hear a specific song as the Music app shuffles thru all songs in the playlist.

2. So I search an album within the playlist, click to enter the album and select a song to play.

3. Music app plays the song and then starts to only shuffle thru songs within that album even when I have exited out of that album and are currently looking at all the albums (album art) within the playlist.

When using the album art view for a playlist, is there anyway I can have the Music app always shuffle every song/album within the playlist?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I just couldn't find it.
You are using the global search function, not the "filter" function, so you are essentially searching for and starting playing an album. You can easily confirm this by searching for an album / song NOT in your current playlist.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
You are using the global search function, not the "filter" function, so you are essentially searching for and starting playing an album. You can easily confirm this by searching for an album / song NOT in your current playlist.

Thanks for the reply. But I should have made it more clear. When I said “search” I meant scrolling thru the album view within the playlist, not using the global search text box.

If I remember l correctly, previously if you select an album within a playlist under the album view option, the album would expand in place to list songs within it. So, you’ll see all the albums within the playlist along with the selected album expanding in place with the list of songs for that particular album.

But now clicking on an album switches out from the album view of the playlist to a screen that only shows content within the selected album. From there I just can’t seem to find a way to continue shuffling all songs/albums in the playlist after finish playing a song within a selected album.

Of course, I can wait for the song to finish, exit back out to where you see all the albums in the playlist, and then press the shuffle button. But that's just a hassle to play a specific song during a shuffle and then go back to shuffling.

Forgot to add, the only reason I am experimenting with the album view option is because we no longer can view album art with the songs view (just like some mentioned above).

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Forgot to add, the only reason I am experimenting with the album view option is because we no longer can view album art with the songs view (just like some mentioned above).
But you can?

1596171139153.png

[automerge]1596171395[/automerge]
Of course, I can wait for the song to finish, exit back out to where you see all the albums in the playlist, and then press the shuffle button. But that just a hassle to play a specific song during a shuffle and then go back to shuffling.
Can you not just while playing shuffle, go to the song you want right click and hit "Play Next"? That will return you to your playlist shuffle once played.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
But you can?

View attachment 939092
[automerge]1596171395[/automerge]
Can you not just while playing shuffle, go to the song you want right click and hit "Play Next"? That will return you to your playlist shuffle once played.

Hmm, I just don’t see that option in song view? Is it available in Catalina?

And thanks for the “play next” tip. Don’t know why that never occurred to me. Although its still not the same, especially when it works just fine under song view (call me impatient, but when I want to listen to something I want to listen to it now, not after the current song finishes). I would expect how the Music app plays songs would be the same regardless of what view option you selected. Just doesn’t seem like Apple when making the same interactions in a playlist would be different because I’m using a different view.

Plus, even aside from that, exiting out and in of the album view list just to select a particular song in an album among that list just doesn’t feel right either. Wonder if this is still the case with Big Sur.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.