Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
So, among the new changes it doesn't appear to allow shuffling artist directories with a large number of albums:

I have a number of artists that have anywhere from 20 to 50 albums released and I sometimes binge listen by shuffling all the content in an artists directory.

It appears there is no easy way to do this any longer.

The nearest I can see is you can shuffle the tunes in a single record by an artist but not actually shuffle an entire artists catalog like we could earlier today.

Ideas?

Last edited:

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Nope, apparently you can't do that any more. However, found this on another thread:

Ok I found a trick/ work around how to shuffle all songs from all albums from a particular artist: hit up Siri and ask "Play 'Artist' albums" and Siri will start playing all songs shuffled from all its albums, not just one.

It's annoying that the Music app has lost the manual feature to do this and now we gotta hit up Siri to do it for us.

penguintri

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
UK
If you tap the artist picture in the artist view that shuffles all songs for that artist. Not all that intuitive though!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tap the artist art (icon on the left in artist view) and make sure you tap the shuffle icon in the player screen. (If you already have the shuffle button activated you won't need to re press it, it should just shuffle any artist image or album art you press.)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Any ideas for how to shuffle a genre? If I go to my music, genres, and pick one I get a list of artists but what I want is to shuffle the whole genre. Any ideas?

Edit:As above, I can ask Siri to play a genre and it will play along with a full up next list.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Any ideas for how to shuffle a genre? If I go to my music, genres, and pick one I get a list of artists but what I want is to shuffle the whole genre. Any ideas?

The exact same way you would with everything else. Tap the icon on the left for the genre (while in genre list view) you want to play and make sure shuffle is activated in the player screen.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The exact same way you would with everything else. Tap the icon on the left for the genre (while in genre list view) you want to play and make sure shuffle is activated in the player screen.

Wow. I had no idea. I would click the text for the genre and get a list of artists. Never tied tapping the icon.

Edit: Forgot to say Thank you!

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
What about Shuffle all Songs?

Though since they haven't fixed iTunes obeying the "skip when shuffling" option when playing through iTunes Match, I may have to create a playlist and shuffle from there. :/ (I have a lot of live and classical stuff in my library, plus a fair chunk of holiday music, which I don't want to delete but I don't want any of playing when I shuffle. Used to be as simple as opening songs and hitting the Shuffle All button, but I guess those days are gone.)

tinous98

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Nouméa
Tap the artist art (icon on the left in artist view) and make sure you tap the shuffle icon in the player screen. (If you already have the shuffle button activated you won't need to re press it, it should just shuffle any artist image or album art you press.)
Works for me but only when I have 2 albums for the artist. Every artists with 3 or more album: the option to shuffle is not there...
Siri is ok as long as you are conncected... How do we do it when we don't have internet available ? Apple really sucks...

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Works for me but only when I have 2 albums for the artist. Every artists with 3 or more album: the option to shuffle is not there...
Siri is ok as long as you are conncected... How do we do it when we don't have internet available ? Apple really sucks...

You're not doing how I mentioned. Don't click into the artist of choice that shows you their list of albums. WHILE in the list of all artists, tap on the art icon on the left of the of artist you wish to play. Then once it's playing pull the mini player on the bottom that appears once music is playing up (to see the large album art image and controls) on the bottom of that you select the shuffle button. (You won't need to do the step for activating the shuffle button once you've done it once, it remembers if you had it turned on even after fully closing that app. Unless of course of you turn off shuffle.)

Reactions: tinous98

tinous98

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Nouméa
You're not doing how I mentioned. Don't click into the artist of choice that shows you their list of albums. WHILE in the list of all artists, tap on the art icon on the left of the of artist you wish to play. Then once it's playing pull the mini player on the bottom that appears once music is playing up (to see the large album art image and controls) on the bottom of that you select the shuffle button. (You won't need to do the step for activating the shuffle button once you've done it once, it remembers if you had it turned on even after fully closing that app. Unless of course of you turn off shuffle.)
ok, I got it right this time, thank you for detailing the way to do it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.