Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
I have Apple Music and share it with the family. When I go to AM, on the left side is Playlists. I am trying to keep the Playlist organized by the family members name ie. dad's music or Johns music.

The playlist appears to be growing and I don't know who is creating a new Playlist for a specific artist or band.

Obviously, I could ask each family member but is there another way of finding out who created the Playlist and added music to it?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I have Apple Music and share it with the family. When I go to AM, on the left side is Playlists. I am trying to keep the Playlist organized by the family members name ie. dad's music or Johns music.

The playlist appears to be growing and I don't know who is creating a new Playlist for a specific artist or band.

Obviously, I could ask each family member but is there another way of finding out who created the Playlist and added music to it?
Shouldn't each family member have their own account so that playlists are private to the person creating them?

guyguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Each member has their own ID but subscribes to the family music plan.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
It sounds like you're all signed in to Music on a single ID, which is separate from iCloud. That's fine, and many prefer to do it that way. But if that's the case, then the answer to your question is no - you'll have to go ask. Each member has the option though to sign in to Music using their own Apple ID, and if they do so then their music and playlists will be separate; but obviously anyone who does so will lose access to their current playlists and music since they're all linked to the one Apple ID.

To fix that, you'd just have to go through and share each playlist with them and they can then add it (and the songs) to their library.

In the near term, it may be easier to have your Dad's Folder and make peace with the chaos that reigns without.

At some point though, they'll head out and will want to take their music with them; and the headache of transferring their playlists will only grow with time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.