Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I am considering switching from win to a pb. I am wanting to know what sort of software I should be looking at for on the spot music recording. I am wanting a mobile unit with correct software that can be set to record live concerts and such. Any recommendations? Should I be using a DAT instead?

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
If you're going to do this, there's a lot to take into consideration. What do you have for recording (microphone, computer interface, etc...) and how easily do you want to deal with it. While the included GarageBand will be cheap and easy and should work with any audio interface, it's really basic.

There are new offerings from Apple, with the Logic Pro and Logic Express, but there's a learning curve on those that might not be worth it if you're just doing field recording.

What's your price range with this project, that'll help too...

DAT is durable and reliable (especially if it's in concert in the middle of a mosh pit) but it's an added expense. Again, price helps.

cpjakes

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm with cpjakes on this one. Please provide more info on your needs and we can throw out a hundred and one recommendations. Until then, it's like asking what kind of guitar to buy without specifying what style you intend to play.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.