Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuleepMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
San Diego
Occasionally, I start hearing my iPad Air playing music when I never launched iTunes. :confused: Generally it seems I notice/hear the music when the Air is asleep. The Air is currently using iOS 8.4b1 but previously used iOS 8.3 and it has happened on both iOS versions. I wake up the Air, double click the Home button and iTunes is not running yet music is still playing. I have to launch iTunes and stop the music from playing. I could very well be doing something which causes the music to play but I have no idea what it is.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Can anyone tell me what I can do to stop music from auto playing?

Jim

BuleepMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
San Diego
The Twilight Zone

Ever watched the movie Paranormal Activity?
You should restore your iPad.

Well I thought of The Twilight Zone because I am old enough to have watched that and not Paranormal Activity.

Regarding an iPad restore. I have several iPad backups available, locally and on iCloud, but I'm afraid they are back ups which would have been done after the music played. Wouldn't I just be restoring the problem and loosing all the new stuff I have done?

RollTideFanGrl

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
Mine does this as well but on my iphone 6. When I get into the car it will just play music from itunes or the itune radio on my bluetooth. so weird

ebiggs

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
California
How strange...

Does it happen when its charging?
If so, many cars or other devices such as speakers will trigger iOS devices to play music once plugged in via the lightning port. I suppose the iPad could mistakenly think it's getting these commands, though thats highly unlikely. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything.

Regarding an iPad restore. I have several iPad backups available, locally and on iCloud, but I'm afraid they are back ups which would have been done after the music played. Wouldn't I just be restoring the problem and loosing all the new stuff I have done?

Restoring the same issue is certainly a possibility. If this is indeed a bug, it would depend on where the bug resides. If it's in the user data, then a back up would likely restore the issue back. If the bug is in the OS, then it's much less likely.

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to reset the device and try. You could restore a back up if you wish, and see if the issue returns. If it does then we know the issue was in the user data. You'll then have to reset the iPad again and set it up as new, without restoring a back up, and manually bring your data back over.

It's definitely a PIA all the way around, especially when the issue isn't readily reproducible and more of a waiting game.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.