Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Weber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
With every new update, some bugs get fixed and new annoyances arrive:
  • After the OS17 update all of my HomePods (6 minis and two OG 2nd Generation) randomly stop after a while, playing any album or playlist from Apple Music
  • It won't react to hitting play/pause on the iPhone but I need to skip to the next track instead
  • Also the build in ambient noises (rain, river, etc.) stop after a while.
  • If I press the HomePod it also doesn't continue and "plays some music just for me"
I did reset the HomePods and configured them from ground up but that didn't help. Super annoying.

Anyone else having those issues?

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
With every new update, some bugs get fixed and new annoyances arrive:
  • After the OS17 update all of my HomePods (6 minis and two OG 2nd Generation) randomly stop after a while, playing any album or playlist from Apple Music.
  • It won't react to hitting play/pause on the iPhone but I need to skip to the next track, instead I need to skip to the next song
  • Also the build in ambient noises (rain, river, etc.) stop after a while.
  • If I press the HomePod it also doesn't continue and "plays some music just for me"
I did reset the HomePods and configured them from ground up but that didn't help. Super annoying.

Anyone else having those issues?
Exactly happening on mine also. i just accept the fact that Apple will never figure this out. Clueless. They sound great though, better than any mini speakers I’ve listened to. Software it’s Crap! lol

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
@StumpyBloke @Thomas Weber

They are indeed a huge mess. Worst product in Apple history in terms of software stability and reliability.

At least this bug, the one where Homepods Minis sometimes play a lossless track in AAC, and the bug where Atmos does not work for movies and tv shows with the original homepods when set as the default audio output of an Apple TV 4K (the Atmos badge does not appear while playing content if you bring up the swipe down menu with the remote), are currently flagged as bugs officially by Apple, and an upcoming update will fix them (or so I´ve been told).

There is also another bug that breaks gapless playback on the homepods running audioOS 17 (which I find the most annoying of all), but this one is still not flagged officially as a bug by Apple yet.

At this point, I wonder if the eventual final software update of the OG Homepods (whenever that happens), will at least leave them working smoothly.

That´s all I ask, or hope for.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Had the same issue.
Found out that settings on my Wifi router need change.

- Enable Multicast (IGMPv3)
- Enable IGMP Snooping on 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands
- Lock Homepods Macadresses to 2.4Ghz wifi (reject 5Ghz band) to avoid band switching while streaming and losing connection.
- Disable Airtime Fairness!

Now rock solid streaming again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.