Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
So, I've been searching for the best IEMs for many months now. I limited my budget to $200. But I am a value oriented person, so the less expensive, the better.

I have tried various options across many brands- from the lowly $10 SkullCandies to $400 Ultimate Ears Triple driver ones. Tried many big name brands- Bose, DrDre, Monster, Sennheiser, Klipsch, Ultimate Ears, Shure etc

However, none of them make me incredibly excited as the RE0s from Head-Direct.

For people who don't know about Head-Direct(I don't blame you, they are relatively unknown): HeadDirect/HifiMan is brand that produces the "RE" series of headphones. Their products are very highly rated by audiophiles for having the best value. I just recently purchased the higher end of this series, the RE0 for $80.

I must say, I have never known that music could sound so great. These are incredibly detailed, very crispy and yet extremely natural. The highs and mids really come alive from the music. Not recommended for bassheads though. It doesn't have the overpowering boomy bass like the DrDres or SkullCandy. However, it more than makes up for this - the bass is very tight and explodes with every beat.

These really are worth the $200 they used to sell for not too long ago. Very highly recommended

Honourable Mentions:

Over the years, I have tried a bunch of IEMs, and I just wanted to list the best ones, in case you were looking for something else.

$10 - SkullCandy Ink'D
People say bad things about skullCandy. I agree with them. But there is one exception, the Ink'd. These are the best $10 headphones I have listened to. Way better than their pricier alternatives. Good Punchy bass - A bit boomy. Treble/mids - Meh. But for $10, they are awesome.

$30 - JVC FX-66
These are awesome for the $30 range. Clear, detailed. Bass is good too. There are a few harsh treble notes that people may not like.

$30 - Head-Direct RE2 ??
I haven't given these a try but if they are anything like the RE0, then they will sound as good as the best $100 sets. Someone who owns these, please add your input?

$80 - Klipsch S4
These are at the same price point as the RE0. The only reason I would recommend them is the fact that they are very bassy. The bass is voluminous, also fairly tight and punchy. Not too great on the high/treble side though. But If you are into hip-hop etc, this might be a better option for you than the RE0. But IMO, the RE0 is a way better IEM.

I really have one thing to say about Bose/SkullCandy/DrDre. These really suck for the price. Sure they are better than stock Apple earbuds. And they do look very good. But these generally cost $100+ when they really should sell for half that.

I would like to hear what everyone else is using for their music.

tl;dr:

If you have $80 to spend and are looking for incredibly detailed awesome sounding IEMs, get the HeadDirect RE0.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
I thought the Klipsch S4 were too muddy and the RE0 had good clarity but not enough bass. I've tried about 10 IEM's and the Klipsch X5 is my favorite. It's got 90% of the clarity of the RE0, it has nice punchy bass, and is not muddy like the S4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.