Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Hey kids,

After a lot of whinging on my behalf about Apple's **** drivers for OS X and XP, I found and installed some generic drivers onto XP and have seen a signifcant performance increase! Finally, it feels like this card is living up to its expectations....

The drivers can be found here...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Wouldn't it be a thousand times safer, easier and more practical to get the official nvidia drivers? And I should think they would run better too...

Or do they not exist?

Hmmm... They seem to not exist on nvidia's website...
Stupid fools...

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Wouldn't it be a thousand times safer, easier and more practical to get the official nvidia drivers? And I should think they would run better too...

Or do they not exist?

Hmmm... They seem to not exist on nvidia's website...
Stupid fools...

Yeah, its booger. NVIDIA give Apple the source code, then Apple write both the OSX and the XP(bootcamp) one. They just haven't done a good job of compiling it. The generic one works great in comparisson.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Yeah, its booger. NVIDIA give Apple the source code, then Apple write both the OSX and the XP(bootcamp) one. They just haven't done a good job of compiling it. The generic one works great in comparisson.

Well, one would assume that we won't have to wait too much longer for official nvidia drivers...

But more importantly, you should run some benchmarks with the new drivers, and play some games and post screenshots of the framerates you are getting.

(And btw, I resent being called a kid : )

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Well, one would assume that we won't have to wait too much longer for official nvidia drivers...

But more importantly, you should run some benchmarks with the new drivers, and play some games and post screenshots of the framerates you are getting.

(And btw, I resent being called a kid : )

There will never be an official NVIDIA driver, because they simply do not make them for their mobile series chipsets.

What do you use to test framrates?

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
omega drivers are great i've used them before with a old radion 9100 to enable half life 2 to run with DX 8.1 support something the offical drivers did not allow.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
These do seem genuily better than the bootcamp drivers.

I was getting random lockups in the odd game I played (Rollercoaster Tycoon 3) but these seem to have stopped that.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I thought the Apple GPUs had non-standard firmware, seeing that they had to communicate with Open Firmware and now EFI rather than BIOSes, which meant off-the-shelf drivers would either not work or cause all sorts of bother.

I tried the ATI Catalyst drivers with my C2D MBP and ended having to reboot into safe-mode to restore the bootcamp drivers when the graphics came up all garbled.

Has anyone tried the Omega drivers with Vista, and how did you get on?

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I tried the ATI Catalyst drivers with my C2D MBP and ended having to reboot into safe-mode to restore the bootcamp drivers when the graphics came up all garbled.

Has anyone tried the Omega drivers with Vista, and how did you get on?

I had issues with the Omega drivers under XP, maybe the newer ones are fine. Before the control panel wouldn't display properly.

As for Vista Apple provides drivers for the 8600 via Bootcamp these work fine. NVIDIA said they support the card in Vista but not via XP. NVIDIA provide no support for mobile chips it is left to the manufacturer :)

SilversunStreak

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2004
I'm guessing these don't work for Vista. Possible there could be drivers that give a speed boost in Vista??

athimmig

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Right on....

RIght on with the Omega Drivers idea. The ones Apple supplied are pretty bad...

However, Omega dosen't seem to have a VISTA driver. Does anyone know if there are other non-apple drivers that will work with VISTA and the SR-MBP?:apple:

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I thought the Apple GPUs had non-standard firmware, seeing that they had to communicate with Open Firmware and now EFI rather than BIOSes, which meant off-the-shelf drivers would either not work or cause all sorts of bother.

The firmware of graphic cards has NOTHING to do with the drivers they use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.