Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just got my iPad and love it. Now I need to stock it with apps. I have goodreader and all of my PDFs transferred to it. I also have pandora, netflix, abc, weather channel and a few others. What are the must have free and paid apps. I need some good games as well. I love this thing but I already can't get it out of my apple case.
Thanks guys

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Best Apps?

Just picked up an iPad a few days ago and was looking for some advice on the best apps out for it right now. What are your favorite apps?

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do we really need another thread on this??

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

having a dedicated iPad app sub-forum would help :D

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

And a sub forum for things that get repeated every day, like newbie questions, perhaps iPad 101's etc etc.....

I wrote a mod and requested this, nothing every came of it. Figures!

This board is a mess, way too much going on here!

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
There should be a thread entitled Newbie Q & A for iPad or just a thread for newbies to iPad period and stickied!

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain

danpass said:

This I totally agree with, I know some people here don't, oh well.

Berek

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Plants vs Zombies HD
magic piano
worms HD
Amatuer Surgeon HD
Mahjong 2 HD
Mirrors Edge

Start with those.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Kind of hard to say for games since people like different types. But I have Scrabble, Flight Control HD, and Real Racing HD, all really good. Pinball HD looks great too, I'll probably download that tonight.

For non-games I also have Pages (very good but somewhat flawed also, weird, I know), BBC, NPR, SketchPad Pro, and Calc XT (free calculator app). But the truth is I probably use the built-in apps about 90% of the time (Safari, iBooks, Mail, Calendar, Maps). All good apps.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Heres mine:

Supports iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad apps: Pandora Radio, 10 pin Shuffle

Supports iPhone and iPod touch Apps: Justin.tv, NAVIGON MobileNavigator North America, Skype

Supports iPad Apps: Bento for iPad, Browser Duo, Calculator for iPad, eTextbooks for the iPad, Flipside HD, Galcon Fusion, iBooks, Night Stand HD, Penultimate, The Pinball HD, Shazam for iPad, Weather HD, Weather Radar HD

Wish List: Pages (for iPad), Scrabble for iPad, The Early Edition (for iPad)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Might as well check out Tap Tap Radiation. Free with 35+ free songs.
Words with Friends is great if you like word games, its basically Scrabble against people on line. :p
Zombieville USA is a fun zombie shooter for $2.
The presentation of "Crosswords" is brilliant. Great use of the iPad's size and functionality.
Check out Charadium Lite, I loved it enough to buy the full.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
The Golf game is awesome fun (im not even a golf fan) and Bruce Lee looks stunning!!!!

Plants v Zombies was not really something I would like but is great!!!!

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Captain's Blog
HoloBlog

They are futuristic journal blogging apps. HoloBlog uses tilt 3D while Captain's Blog kinda reminds me of Star Trek.

You totally work for this company. Every time someone asks about apps, you're like "OMG (Holoblog/Captain's blog) IS AWESOME!"
Not to mention you have a link to Holoblog as your signature. Also the fact that you joined like pretty much just as the apps were released (along with the iPad, i know i know) is a little fishy. not substantial, but still.

Also? While Holoblog is cool looking, the actual use is lacking. So I can...write my own personal journal that stays native to be ipad? Oh, i can also send it to email. Oh, Facebook statuses now?

None of those are even blogs. Maybe if it supported pushing your blogs to wordpress/blogspot/tumblr. But basically all it does is look cool.

Anyway...

I don't have my iPad, but for me personally my list of "must have apps" i have downloaded are:

Netflix
ABC Player
Goodreader
Wikipanion
Reuters

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking plant vs zombies. I really want command and conquer but it's $13 and people say it's laggy.

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Angry Birds plays so smooth on the iPad. Scales pretty well on 2x. On the iPhone it's a little laggy at start up.

Few apps, like Facebook, Huffingtonpost, Tom's Hardware, etc it is just better to use the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.