Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgarratt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
hey all,

I recently purchased a GTX1070 from MVC.

While there is a bunch of useful information on MVC's site, as a newbie to flashed nVidia cards I was unable to find the clear information I was after before I install the card.

1. When a new update is released from apple, ie. soon to be released 10.13.5. I understand I need to wait for nVidia to release an updated Web driver. What I don't understand is do I install the new web driver first before installing the Apple update or does it have to be done the other way around?

2. While I understand this is a flashed card with boot screen support, will I still reach the desktop if something screws up with the Web driver in the future? ie. will it fall back to some sort of basic driver included in MacOS automatically?

3. I will be using this card with a Dell 4k display, is it safe to assume i'll get a boot menu on this display? (I need it for filevalt)

4. I run a number of VM's via Fusion on my mac as well as a fair bit of web based work. Is it necessary to install the CUDA driver? Any benefits?

This is for a 5,1 cMP running macOS 10.13.4.

Thanks in advance for any help

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
hey all,

I recently purchased a GTX1070 from MVC.

While there is a bunch of useful information on MVC's site, as a newbie to flashed nVidia cards I was unable to find the clear information I was after before I install the card.

1. When a new update is released from apple, ie. soon to be released 10.13.5. I understand I need to wait for nVidia to release an updated Web driver. What I don't understand is do I install the new web driver first before installing the Apple update or does it have to be done the other way around?

2. While I understand this is a flashed card with boot screen support, will I still reach the desktop if something screws up with the Web driver in the future? ie. will it fall back to some sort of basic driver included in MacOS automatically?

3. I will be using this card with a Dell 4k display, is it safe to assume i'll get a boot menu on this display? (I need it for filevalt)

4. I run a number of VM's via Fusion on my mac as well as a fair bit of web based work. Is it necessary to install the CUDA driver? Any benefits?

This is for a 5,1 cMP running macOS 10.13.4.

Thanks in advance for any help

1) install the corresponding web driver AFTER you finish the OS update. Anyway, you can't get it wrong. The driver will simply refuse to install before you finish the OS update. So, don't worry about that.

2) Yes, that's the whole idea of using flashed card.

3) Yes

4) I don't think VM Fusion can use CUDA, but not sure.

Reactions: ActionableMango

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
1. You will have to wait to update but this can prove to be a wise decision - let others find the bugs first. Once you do update, the standard driver in OS X will load until the Nvidia utility pops up (or it does on mine) and offers an update. I usually check the MVC site to check and see if a new driver has been offered then update OS X.

2. Answered in #1 - Yes you will have a very slow refreshing screen.

3. Answered excellently by cdf in post #3

4. CUDA drivers will not hurt anything but I doubt you need them. I needed them for video work.

Lisa

dgarratt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
The new GTX1070 was installed today and is working nicely.

Quick question. I have installed the nVidia driver and can see that MacOS is using the nVidia web driver as it should however during the initial boot process there are dos like screens showing boot text. Is this normal and can it be turned off?

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ

OS first, then the nvidia panel will say there is an update available. Doing it the other way around will result in the nvidia installer complaining that your system does not meet minimum requirements and refuse to install.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.