Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has purchased a macvideocards vega 56 with bootscreen, could they be so kind as to review it here with attention to:
1. was it a new card ?
2. how are you powering it ?
3. what is the fan noise like ?

thanks in anticipation :)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Someone on the eGPU.io forum did, maybe 3-4 weeks ago. I cannot find the post and wonder if it was deleted. Recall them saying it was working fine. Power was via an eGPU enclosure and not applicable to an MP5,1. No clue why they felt it necessary to purchase that particular card especially for eGPU, but assume it's for a unique need/situation or they had money to burn.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
My question was specifically about the mvc modded vega 56 , running inside a mac pro tower, thanks. It is up to individuals to decide if the want it , cheers

flyingmanatee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2014
Oregon
2. how are you powering it ?
3. what is the fan noise like ?

thanks in anticipation :)
1: You're doing the MVC dice roll.

2: While I haven't touched the MVC Vega 56, the Vega 56 low enough power that rarely do people issues with its power load without PSU modification, self included. You can verify this searching Vega 56 on these forums.

The MVC card will be no different assuming it ships with the Vega 56 ROM modified and not the Vega 64 ROM. The Vega 56 can use the Vega 64 ROM which effectively overclocks the processor and RAM, but also increases the power load, which often is too much power draw for for an unmodified PSU, triggering immediate shut downs when the GPU is under significant stress.

3: The fan noise is going to be that of whatever Vega variant you are shipped, there's plenty of review sites that list this. The only cavaet is it is unknown if it has the fan revving issue in High Sierra as some Vega 56s defaulted to running the fan in high mode, and required different firmware to fix this issue. There's a whole big google that can give you better answers than here pertaining to fan noise levels of Vegas and how they compare to other GPUs based on idle, loads etc .

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I guess no one who reads this forum has one yet, its still early days ....

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I bought one and so far I haven't been able to keep it from shutting the machine down under load. Boot screen is there but no matter how I try to power it the computer keeps shutting down. I've tried using both CD/DVD power connectors and two SATA power with the same results. Of course one of the 8-pin connectors is fed by both PCI-E power ports and the other 8-pin (has two 8-pin) on either CD/DVD or SATA power with the same results. I think this card isn't capable of being powered by the internal power supply except maybe with the Pixlas mod. Not looking forward to trying to return it based on some of the horror stories about their customer service.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I bought one and so far I haven't been able to keep it from shutting the machine down under load. Boot screen is there but no matter how I try to power it the computer keeps shutting down. I've tried using both CD/DVD power connectors and two SATA power with the same results. Of course one of the 8-pin connectors is fed by both PCI-E power ports and the other 8-pin (has two 8-pin) on either CD/DVD or SATA power with the same results. I think this card isn't capable of being powered by the internal power supply except maybe with the Pixlas mod. Not looking forward to trying to return it based on some of the horror stories about their customer service.
I’d suggest pixla mod or just try to resell it. Some may want one without the wait but the unknown power aspect may steer others Away. Could you power it with an external power supply to test if it shuts down under load still?

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX

Have you tried powering it with the each logic board 6-pin going to each 8-pin? The Titan X (Maxwell) has a higher TDP (250W) than the Vega 56 (210W) so the board should be able to power the Vega 56 without any need for the Pixlas Mod. We used a Titan X (Maxwell) on the internal 6-pins only and it was rock solid editing 4K video in Premiere Pro. This was nearly 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Vega 56 - https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-56
Titan X (Maxwell) - https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications

Reactions: zedex

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
Have you tried powering it with the each logic board 6-pin going to each 8-pin? The Titan X (Maxwell) has a higher TDP (250W) than the Vega 56 (210W) so the board should be able to power the Vega 56 without any need for the Pixlas Mod. We used a Titan X (Maxwell) on the internal 6-pins only and it was rock solid editing 4K video in Premiere Pro. This was nearly 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Vega 56 - https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-56
Titan X (Maxwell) - https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications

Yep, I've tried every possible combination and it still shuts down within a minute running Heaven benchmark at 4K. I even tried a EVGA PowerLink which balances the load with identical results.

Reactions: zedex and RyanXM

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
K Funk

If you don't need an internal DVD ,, move TWO of your HDDs. or SSDs to the DVD drive cage ( they can be mounted ) and then use TWO x Mini 6 pin to ONE x 8 pin. AND . . . ( from your now TWO empty HDD drive sockets in the main SATA bays ) TWO x SATA to ONE by 8 pin to the GPU 8 pin socket.

Also, does. your Vega have a BIOS switch ? I don't know how MVC sets up it's BIOS. You should email them regarding your power problem. Usually BIOS position #1 is the factory default and position #2 may be considered to be " economy " = lower power demand.

RyanXM

Your solution ( supposition ) worries me. 1 X mini 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin to GPU 8 pin definitely will not provide enough power.

The Titan & the Vega are two distinctly different cards regardless of your prior experience.

chrissomos

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2018
Have you tried EVGA powerlink?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
RyanXM

Your solution ( supposition ) worries me. 1 X mini 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin to GPU 8 pin definitely will not provide enough power.
The Titan & the Vega are two distinctly different cards regardless of your prior experience.

Although they are distinctly different cards, power is power. The Vega 56 "should" pull less wattage even at full load. It could just be that the MVC flashed Vega 56 has an issue that needs to be resolved and/or the card itself is bad.

EDIT: Tom's Hardware has a few graphs. You'll see that the Titan X (Maxwell) pulls just as much if not more. This particular Vega 56 is a two BIOS version, but still shows that the Titan X (Maxwell) is power hungry.

Vega 56 - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html
Titan X (Maxwell) - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700-7.html

Last edited:

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I've tried every single solution mentioned here including the EVGA PowerLink to no avail. I'm beginning to think the card is faulty but it doesn't miss a beat when installed in a Windows machine. It doesn't have a BIOS switch just two switches for the GPU Tach which is just a bunch of LED's that show the power load. I've turned it off too but still shutting down. It's a Powercolor model with a single fan if that matters?

If this card is supposed to draw less than the Titan X (Maxwell) then something is indeed off because the same machine has no problems with the Titan X but not the VEGA 56.....

UPDATE: I stand corrected. Upon closer inspection there is a BIOS switch. Unfortunately when I switch it there is no boot screen, nothing at all, not even a desktop. It works in either mode with a Windows machine but I don't see a difference in clock speeds at all, in either position. 1630MHz graphics and 945MHz memory. I also noticed in system profiler under OS X it reports the card as a Vega 64?

Last edited:
Reactions: zedex

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
I've tried every single solution mentioned here including the EVGA PowerLink to no avail. I'm beginning to think the card is faulty but it doesn't miss a beat when installed in a Windows machine. It doesn't have a BIOS switch just two switches for the GPU Tach which is just a bunch of LED's that show the power load. I've turned it off too but still shutting down. It's a Powercolor model with a single fan if that matters?

If this card is supposed to draw less than the Titan X (Maxwell) then something is indeed off because the same machine has no problems with the Titan X but not the VEGA 56.....

UPDATE: I stand corrected. Upon closer inspection there is a BIOS switch. Unfortunately when I switch it there is no boot screen, nothing at all, not even a desktop. It works in either mode with a Windows machine but I don't see a difference in clock speeds at all, in either position. 1630MHz graphics and 945MHz memory. I also noticed in system profiler under OS X it reports the card as a Vega 64?

Have you been able to get in touch with MVC Support? It could be very possible that the flash done by them has an issue that is specific to macOS.

And just for clarities sake, this was purchased directly from MVC and wasn't sent in for their Flashing Service?

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Have you been able to get in touch with MVC Support? It could be very possible that the flash done by them has an issue that is specific to macOS.

And just for clarities sake, this was purchased directly from MVC and wasn't sent in for their Flashing Service?
HAHA good luck with that, I dont think he even answers questions or does email and probably works from home .... I tried asking about the card but got no response. however...
I would test the card in a PC , it probably is fine. does it appear to be used , or essentially is it new ? As for the mac pro, you may have to do the pixlas mod, especially to run demanding apps
actually i just read you tested in a pc and its ok. So almost certainly it needs more power.. can you get the pc and put it alongside the mac pro with the card installed in the mac pro, run a couple of connectors from the pc power supply to the card and turn the pc on... then boot the mac and run your tests. i bet with the extra power the card works ... i sure would like to know, and then, you can be confident you are not wasting your time doing the pixlas mod!

Last edited:

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
[ TAXONOMY OF ASSEMBLED FACTS AND OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE RX VEGA 56 ]

I've just been reading through this thread with great interest.
I'm in the unique position to report on my own experiences (and problems) with both of these very important Mac Pro tower GPUs (GTX TITAN X and VEGA 56).

I will spend the next three hours running through a series of ower configurations tests using the extraordinary basket of GPU power connection possibilities in my possession.

Scientific method applies (trial and error). Images of PCIe power connection options pictured below.

I am very light on cash resources at the moment, so I would encourage you to chime in with your test requests ASAP as I will be selling all of the component parts featured in these tests over the weekend.

I hope we can solve many of the questions raised above. They were all my questions and I just decided to buy everything to do my own testing and eliminate doubt around so many of the soft answers I was getting. The last of my special 8-pin connectors arrived in the mail today - so let's get started..

GPUS TO BE TESTED:
[X01] AMD SAPPHIRE RX VEGA 56 (REFERENCE MODEL) / 8-PIN + 8-PIN
[X02] GTX TITAN X 12GB (MAXWELL) / 8-PIN + 6-PIN
[X03] NETSTOR EXTERNAL GPU PSU (just in case it keeps crashing the cMP like @K Funk mentioned already)

MY preliminary testing before all the extra cables and external PSUs arrived was same as K FUNK. cMP clicks off in first 1 - 10 mins.

2x SATA POWER (HDD BAYS 1-2).JPG MINI PCIE POWER 8PIN.JPG MINI PCIE POWER.JPG P1.JPG NETSTOR EXTERNAL GPU PSU.JPG VEGA 56 8-PIN.JPG VEGA 56 FRONT.JPG  TITAN X2.JPG TITAN X1.JPG

Attachments

• P2X8.JPG
    P2X8.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 87

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
a vega 56 reference has 8 + 6 pins (also seeing on your pictures)!

and I still don't understand why everyone does handicrafts, but deny the pixlas mode

Reactions: Chips Stephens

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
After only a single response of "did you plug the cables in?" I've heard nothing since after repeated emails. It seems he willingly takes your money but doesn't stand behind what he sells. I've confirmed the card is clocked too high and that's why it keeps shutting the machine down. I tried a bone-stock Vega 56 and it ran on internal power no problems, the card MVC sells reports as a Vega 64 in the profiler and is clocked way too high.

A stock Vega 56 is clocked at 1590/800MHz GPU/MEM and draws 160watts. His card is clocked at 1630/945MHz draws over 220watts and immediately shuts the machine down. I don't know why he's selling a card that doesn't work but he needs to make it right, ignoring folks is no way to run a business.

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan

I wonder if indeed your Vega is a Vega 64 ? . . . a mistake by MVC ? Are there any model number stickers on the card that you can check on the net ?

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I wonder if indeed your Vega is a Vega 64 ? . . . a mistake by MVC ? Are there any model number stickers on the card that you can check on the net ?

Nope it's a Powercolor Vega 56. This is the exact model listed below in the link. I'm at a loss for why he won't respond. I really don't want to open a case through PayPal but he's leaving me no choice.

https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1508205229

Last edited:

K Funk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
Is the rom for a 64

I will assume so. The clock speeds seem to match the Vega 64 as well. Maybe they put the wrong one on it?

The max TDP for the Vega 64 is 295 watts and 210 watts for the Vega 56, depending on the make and model.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 3.06.04 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.