Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stebak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
My MacBook pro is coming up on it's first anniversary.

The other day, my wife noticed a very high pitched noise, we looked around but couldn't find it anywhere. Then, I plugged it in last night when it was nearly out of power and the very evident high pitched squeal started immediately. I unplugged it and powered down and eventually the noise stopped. This morning I plugged it in and again, the squeal began.

This is new, the machine is a year old and has never made noise before.

I did apply an upgrade this week to macOS: 14.0 Beta (23A5301h)

It's very distracting. I will set up a support session at the local apple store.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
FYI they will make you restore to a production OS before they will work on it. They don’t work on machines running beta OS builds.

stebak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
FYI they will make you restore to a production OS before they will work on it. They don’t work on machines running beta OS builds.
Sounds reasonable, perhaps the beta release is causing the squeal. Is there a simple way to uninstall the beta OS build?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Sounds reasonable, perhaps the beta release is causing the squeal. Is there a simple way to uninstall the beta OS build?
Not unless you made a system backup before installing the beta. Otherwise you’ll have to start from scratch, and restore from whatever your latest update is. If you’ve generated new files, you’ll want to save them before reformatting and reinstalling the OS.

slythfox

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
It sounds like a moving part which would be one of the fans. Probably some debris in the fan. Do you have any pets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.