Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
A technician that replaced my speakers told me my MBP 2015 battery is very slightly swollen. Shall I continue to use it as is? will it continue to expand? I thought the newer batteries do not swell as I heard some people keep them plugged in 24/7.

Looks like a replacement can cost $200-$300.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
How many cycles on that battery? You can check in System Information, or use a third party utility like Coconut Battery.

Is it the original battery that shipped with the laptop, or is it a replacement battery?

Reactions: MacBH928

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
A technician that replaced my speakers told me my MBP 2015 battery is very slightly swollen. Shall I continue to use it as is? will it continue to expand? I thought the newer batteries do not swell as I heard some people keep them plugged in 24/7.

Looks like a replacement can cost $200-$300.
If it is the original battery, it might be eligible for the replacement program due to the recall. Check you serial number here to see if Apple will replace it for free! https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Shall I continue to use it as is? will it continue to expand?
You CAN keep using it, but the battery will also keep expanding at an unknown rate, eventually becoming big enough that it'll become impossible to fully close the laptop, and potentially cracking the trackpad and permanently damaging the laptop itself.

So you really should replace it, but you (probably) have time.

avheatherim

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
Yes it will get worse. Assuming you have the force touch trackpad model, which is glass, it will eventually crack your touchpad.

I have dabbled in light to medium MBP repair with batteries, screens, ports, and the 2015 era are some of the easiest ones I have done. You can do it! The ifixit articles show speaker removal, but that's not needed. Just a battery, some pry tools, some apple screwdrivers, some isopropyl alcohol (>90%), and patience. The battery cells take time to pry up. YouTube is your friend.

Batteries are $50 and up (assuming USA) on Amazon. Match your body style (ie A1398) and read reviews.

Then as for the bad one once they are swapped, Home Depot in my area takes batteries, that would be a good spot to check for disposal.

Good luck!

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Li-ion batteries that swell can become a fire hazard! You should absolutely replace it. If you replace it yourself be VERY careful to not damage it in any way. Best to discharge it before opening the computer. Then you minimise the energy that could combust or explode. And of course be sure to dispose of it responsibly, it does NOT belong in the normal trash!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First, check the good info that rovostrov provides in reply 3 above.

Even if you don't qualify for the recall, you might still consider replacing the battery if the MBP is still doing well otherwise (and you'd like to keep it for a few more years).

A swollen battery doesn't "un-swell".
It only gets worse.

If you have a brick 'n' mortar Apple Store anywhere close, they may be able to offer a battery replacement for $249 (again, only if you DON'T qualify for the free replacement).

That's a higher price than replacing it yourself (which is "a job"), but, for that money, you get:
- a new Apple-labeled OEM battery
- installation
- a short warranty.

Or... considering that it's 9 years old now... you might start looking at replacements.

I went from a 2015 MBP 13" to a 2021 MBP 14".
That was a VERY nice "jump upwards".
(I gave the 2015 to my sister)

Reactions: canuckRus

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
How many cycles on that battery? You can check in System Information, or use a third party utility like Coconut Battery.

Is it the original battery that shipped with the laptop, or is it a replacement battery?
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4994
State of Charge (%): 86
Cycle Count: 766
Condition: Service Recommended

yeah its the original.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
If it is the original battery, it might be eligible for the replacement program due to the recall. Check you serial number here to see if Apple will replace it for free! https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall
its not
1713526251892.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: rovostrov

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
You CAN keep using it, but the battery will also keep expanding at an unknown rate, eventually becoming big enough that it'll become impossible to fully close the laptop, and potentially cracking the trackpad and permanently damaging the laptop itself.

So you really should replace it, but you (probably) have time.

Yes it will get worse. Assuming you have the force touch trackpad model, which is glass, it will eventually crack your touchpad.

I have dabbled in light to medium MBP repair with batteries, screens, ports, and the 2015 era are some of the easiest ones I have done. You can do it! The ifixit articles show speaker removal, but that's not needed. Just a battery, some pry tools, some apple screwdrivers, some isopropyl alcohol (>90%), and patience. The battery cells take time to pry up. YouTube is your friend.

Batteries are $50 and up (assuming USA) on Amazon. Match your body style (ie A1398) and read reviews.

Then as for the bad one once they are swapped, Home Depot in my area takes batteries, that would be a good spot to check for disposal.

Good luck!

Li-ion batteries that swell can become a fire hazard! You should absolutely replace it. If you replace it yourself be VERY careful to not damage it in any way. Best to discharge it before opening the computer. Then you minimise the energy that could combust or explode. And of course be sure to dispose of it responsibly, it does NOT belong in the normal trash!

I thought there is new battery technology now that does not swell the battery. Seems I am wrong. My 2008 macbook swelled so much it pushed the cover outwards.

Are there original batteries I can get or do I go with the ones sold on iFixIt?

although this Macbook is 2015 old in spec, I am not getting the "it got slower" . Feels as fast as a new one!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
First, check the good info that rovostrov provides in reply 3 above.

Even if you don't qualify for the recall, you might still consider replacing the battery if the MBP is still doing well otherwise (and you'd like to keep it for a few more years).

A swollen battery doesn't "un-swell".
It only gets worse.

If you have a brick 'n' mortar Apple Store anywhere close, they may be able to offer a battery replacement for $249 (again, only if you DON'T qualify for the free replacement).

That's a higher price than replacing it yourself (which is "a job"), but, for that money, you get:
- a new Apple-labeled OEM battery
- installation
- a short warranty.

Or... considering that it's 9 years old now... you might start looking at replacements.

I went from a 2015 MBP 13" to a 2021 MBP 14".
That was a VERY nice "jump upwards".
(I gave the 2015 to my sister)

The reason I do not want to upgrade that this feels just as fast as new. Everything is working stable and snappy. Also not a fan of the dynamic island.

Any idea why it started to swell? is this the eventual fate of laptop batteries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.