Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
UK
If I plug in either my USB3 memory stick or HDD in the right hand ports (headphone jack side) I loose wifi connection. Using them via cheap usb3-type c adapters. I know usb3 can do this due the the frequencies they use but I'm suprised this happens on a new model that should be screened. Left side doesnt seem to affect the signal (and my old 2012 retina was unaffected either side) Anyone else noticed this?

I'm not too bothered as I prefer a wired connection. and they dont stay in for long just backup etc

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Isn't it more likely to be the devices that you're plugging in that are not shielded well?

Regardless, it interferes with 2.4GHz spectrum. If you have the option of running 5GHz that should alleviate the problem.
And/or wrap the connectors / devices in aluminium foil. :)

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
UK
My modem is 2.4ghz only, It could be the cheapy adapters I guess, never had any issues with the Kingston Hyper X stick with any other machines.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
My modem is 2.4ghz only, It could be the cheapy adapters I guess, never had any issues with the Kingston Hyper X stick with any other machines.

I would wrap them in foil and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you can then experiment with smaller and smaller wrapping to see what works. And yeah, I would guess the adaptor is the most likely culprit too.

Or get 5GHz wifi. You know, since it's 2018 ;)

Reactions: Daveiggy

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
UK
Ive just wrapped my hand around the adapter and sure enough my signal came back - phew, just unsheilded adapters, thank you soo much for your input

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Wow, this is the first time I ever read about USB3 interfering with wifi... I need to turn in my computer nerd card it seems!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Wow, this is the first time I ever read about USB3 interfering with wifi... I need to turn in my computer nerd card it seems!

It's normally not an issue I don't think, since most USB devices are shielded. But where you'd using a dongle/adaptor, then the issue can become a larger one if the dongle/adaptor is not shielded properly.

So yes USB3 interferes with 2.4GHz wifi, but it doesn't affect everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.